|• Mayor||Wolfgang Koenen (Left)|
|• Total||24.05 km2 (9.29 sq mi)|
|Elevation||121 m (397 ft)|
|• Density||230/km2 (600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Vehicle registration||KYF, ART, SDH|
Artern is a town in the Kyffhäuserkreis district, Thuringia, Germany. It is located at the confluence of the rivers Unstrut and Helme, 12 km south of Sangerhausen. It has railway connections to Erfurt and Sangerhausen. The railway connection to Naumburg was cancelled in December 2006. The population was 6.165 in the 2006 census. Machinery, sugar and boots used to be manufactured in Artern. Its brine springs, known as early as the 15th century, are still frequented. Notable residents of Artern include John Christopher Kunze, a noted Lutheran clergyman, pietist, and author.
Sons and daughters of the town
- John Christopher Kunze (1744-1807), Pietist and evangelical missionary
- Richard Ungewitter (1869-1959), former organizer of the nudist movement
- Johanna Schaller, later Johanna Klier (born 1952), former German hurdler and Olympic gold medallist
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden, Gemeinschaftsfreie Gemeinde, erfüllende/beauftragende Gemeinden, Verwaltungsgemeinschaft/Mitgliedsgemeinden in Thüringen". Thüringer Landesamt für Statistik (in German). July 2016.
- Who Was Who in America, Historical Volume, 1607–1896. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who. 1963.
|This Ilm-Kreis location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|