As She's Walking Away
|"As She's Walking Away"|
|Single by Zac Brown Band featuring Alan Jackson|
|from the album You Get What You Give and 34 Number Ones|
|Released||August 23, 2010|
|Zac Brown Band singles chronology|
|Alan Jackson singles chronology|
"As She's Walking Away" is a song performed by the Zac Brown Band, an American country music band. It features guest vocals from veteran country singer Alan Jackson. The song is the sixth single release by the band, and the first from its album You Get What You Give. It won the Grammy Award for Best Country Collaboration with Vocals at the 53rd Grammy Awards, and is the second Grammy for both the band and Jackson overall.
The song is the first release from the band's album You Get What You Give, which was released on September 21. John Driskell Hopkins, who plays bass guitar in the band, suggested that Jackson be included as a duet partner on it, because he thought that "it would get a great, different kind of fan base for us." Both Zac Brown Band and Jackson are produced by Keith Stegall. On August 24, 2010, an exclusive CD single was released at Target featuring "As She's Walking Away" along with the studio version of "Colder Weather" for the first time.
Background and writing
Co-writer Wyatt Durrette told The Boot that the idea came when he and Zac went to a bar in Orlando, Florida to watch a UFC fight. Durrette said that while they were watching the fight a guy and a girl walked in and all night she stared at him. Durrette said that she was "a beautiful girl, but she had her boyfriend with her, so I obviously wasn't going to say or do anything. We kind of spoke all night from across the room, but didn't say anything to each other." Durrette said that Zac had the idea of bringing the wise man into it and turning it into the older man at the bar who's a much wiser man, giving you advice.
The song received critical acclaim. C.M. Wilcox of The 9513 gave the song a thumbs-up, praising the song's "driving, organic arrangement" as well as the interplay between Brown and Jackson. On the AOL Radio Blog, Amar Toor also described Brown's and Jackson's vocals favorably. A positive review also came from Michael Menachem of Billboard, who said that the song had a "heartwarming" sound.
Darren Doane directed the song's music video. The inside scenes of the bar were filmed in Dixie Tavern in Marietta, Georgia. The outside scenes of the bar were filmed at The Trap located at 2822 East Avenue I, Lancaster, California.
In the week of its release, "As She's Walking Away" debuted at number 32 on the Hot Country Songs charts, as well as number 77 on the Billboard Hot 100. It later debuted at 81 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart for the week of October 9, 2010. On the country chart dated November 20, 2010, "As She's Walking Away" reached Number One, becoming the Zac Brown Band's fourth consecutive Number One single (and their fifth overall), and Jackson's twenty-sixth.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||32|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||49|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||46|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||76|
"Come Back Song"
by Darius Rucker
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
November 20 – 27, 2010
"Anything Like Me"
by Brad Paisley
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Tom Roland (August 12, 2010). "With Zac Brown Band 'You Get' Alan Jackson". Great American Country. Archived from the original on August 19, 2010. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- Conaway, Alanna (September 28, 2010). "Zac Brown Band, 'AS She's Walking Away' – Story Behind the Lyrics". The Boot. Archived from the original on October 5, 2010. Retrieved October 11, 2010.
- C.M. Wilcox (August 17, 2010). "Zac Brown Band featuring Alan Jackson — "As She's Walking Away"". The 9513. Archived from the original on August 21, 2010. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- Amar Toor (August 10, 2010). "Zac Brown Band, 'As She's Walking Away' Feat. Alan Jackson – New Song". AOL Radio. Archived from the original on August 18, 2010. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- Menachem, Michael (September 10, 2010). "Zac Brown Band Featuring Alan Jackson, "As She's Walking Away"". Billboard. Archived from the original on October 23, 2010. Retrieved October 23, 2010.
- ""As She's Walking Away" video". CMT. Archived from the original on September 13, 2010. Retrieved September 10, 2010.
- "Chart Highlights: Country, Dance/Club Play Songs & More". Billboard. August 16, 2010. Archived from the original on August 19, 2010. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- Gary Trust (August 19, 2010). "Eminem, Rihanna Top Hot 100 For Fifth Week". Billboard. Archived from the original on August 22, 2010. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- "Zac Brown Band Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Zac Brown Band Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Zac Brown Band Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2010: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2010. Archived from the original on December 11, 2010. Retrieved December 13, 2010.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "American single certifications – Zac Brown Band feat. Alan Jackson – As She's Walking Away". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved September 16, 2017. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH