This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Asha Kowtal is an activist and expert in the field of Dalit women’s rights. She is currently the General Secretary of the Dalit Women’s Rights movement in India, called the All India Dalit Mahila Adhikar Manch (AIDMAM), which is part of the National Campaign on Dalit Human Rights. She is also a convenor and part of the steering committee of WinG-India, a network advancing leadership of women from the north-eastern part of India, and involving Dalit and tribal communities in governance at all levels with the aim of challenging exploitative structures and enabling a society with gender equality.
Under Kowtal's leadership, AIDMAM has organised multiple activities, including a National Tribunal on Justice for Dalit Women, which came out with a report on violence against Dalit women after sittings held on 30 September and 1 October 2013.
Kowtal and AIDMAM have also organised a national conference to discuss the specific needs of Dalit women, titled "Reframing Budgets for Dalit Women in India", training programs on International Human Rights Mechanisms and Dalit women self-respect marches across key Indian states, such as the Dalit Mahila Swabhiman Yatra. She has also organised North American tour as Dalit Women Self Respect March, around 16 cities of north America in 2015.
Asha has been involved in creation of Dalit History Month. Its goal is to share the contributions to history from Dalits around the world.
Kowtal was also a speaker at the UN Women and European Union 'National Conference on Gender Equality & Women’s Empowerment' in New Delhi. She also spoke at the April 2014 Women in the World Summit in New York on the mass mobilisation of Dalit women through self-respect marches. She has been a regular speaker at various United Nations events.
- "Welcome to NCDHR Team member — ADRF Documents". Ncdhr.org.in. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "All India Dalit Mahila Adhikar Manch -AIDMAM". Allindiadalitmahilaadhikarmanch.blogspot.in. 2010-06-28. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "National Campaign on Dalit Human Rights". Ncdhr.org.in. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "'A conspiracy of silence against Dalit victims'". The Hindu. 2013-10-02. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Welcome". Endcasteapartheid. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- timeline. "Dalit History Month". www.tiki-toki.com. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Steering Committee | WING". Wing-india.org. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Report : National Tribunal Violence Against Dalit Women in India" (PDF). Ncdhr.org.in\accessdate=2016-06-02.
- "National Conference: Reframing Budgets for Dalit Women in India" (PDF). Dalitweb.org. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Social and Gender Justice: All India Dalit MahilaAdhikarManch (AIDMAM) : Annual REport 2013-14" (PDF). Esango.un.org. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Dalit Mahila Swabhiman Yatra — ADRF Documents". Ncdhr.org.in. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Asha Kowtal" (PDF). Idsn.org. Retrieved 2016-06-02.