|Directed by||S. S. Ravi Chandra|
|Written by||Paruchuri Brothers |
(story / dialogues)
|Screenplay by||S. S. Ravi Chandra|
|Produced by||Smt. Kaaja Venkataravamma|
|Cinematography||Nandamuri Mohana Krishna|
|Edited by||Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao|
Sri Venkateswara Art Productions.
Ashoka Chakravarthy is a 1989 Telugu-language action film produced by Smt. Kaaja Venkataravamma under the Sri Venkateswara Art Productions banner and directed by S. S. Ravi Chandra. It stars Nandamuri Balakrishna, Bhanupriya, Bhagyalakshmi (actress), and music composed by Ilaiyaraaja. The film was a remake of the Mohanlal-starring Malayalam film Aryan with several changes to suit the audience.
Vedam Venkata Ashok (Nandamuri Balakrishna), an orthodox traditional Brahmin, works as a priest in a temple. Urmila (Bhanupriya) and Ashok are in love. But Urmila's father Shanmukha Sastry (Gollapudi Maruti Rao) has betrayed Ashok's father Vedam (J. V. Somayajulu) and is trying to seize their whole property, pushing them below the poverty line. Adiseshayya (Narra Venkateswara Rao) and Shanmukha Sastry had planned together and had declared Ashok as a thief and had him sent to jail. After returning from jail, Ashok's father had restricted him from entering the house. Ashok has now decided to go to any safe place and earn a lot of money, so that he can again hold up his family's pride. In this situation, he comes across Karim Sahab (Satyanarayana) in Bombay and gets involved in illegal and corrupt activities in the city. By doing all this, Ashok becomes Ashoka Chakravarthy and earns much money, but will he be able to regain his parents' confidence and their love, for whom he had jumped into such trouble?
- Nandamuri Balakrishna as Ashok
- Bhanupriya as Urmila
- Bhagyasri as Anarkali
- Suparna Anand as Preeti
- Satyanarayana as Karim Saheb
- Gollapudi Maruti Rao as Shanmukha Shastri
- Sharat Saxena as Majid Khan
- Pradeep Shakthi as Police Inspector
- Ranganath as ACP Rohin Albert
- Subhalekha Sudhakar as Johnson
- Harish as Salim
- J. V. Somayajulu
- P. L. Narayana as Abdullah
- Narra Venkateswara Rao as Aadi Sheshaiah
- Chalapathi Rao as Krishniah
- Vankayala Satyanarayana as Subba Rao
- Eeswar Rao as Krishna Moorti
- Tata Appa Rao
- Vijaya Rangaraju
- Anjali Devi as Meenakshi
- Tatineni Rajeswari as Alivelu
- Jyothi as Rukmini
- Indira as Gayatri
- Art: Srinivasa Raju
- Choreography: Siva Shankar
- Fights: Thyagarajan
- Story – Dialogues: Paruchuri Brothers
- Lyrics: Veturi
- Playback: S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki, Chitra
- Music: Ilaiyaraaja
- Editing: Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao
- Cinematography: Nandamuri Mohana Krishna
- Producer: Smt. Kaaja Venkataravamma
- Screenplay – Director: S. S. Ravi Chandra
- Banner: Sri Venkateswara Art Productions
- Release Date: 29 June 1989
|Film score by|
|1.||"Yendaro Mahanubhavulu"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||5:06|
|2.||"Aba Rupamentha"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Chitra||4:33|
|3.||"Limmaripu"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Chitra||4:33|
|4.||"Suvvi Suvvi"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Chitra||4:35|
|5.||"Janak Janak"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||4:28|
- B. A. Raju [@baraju_SuperHit] (29 June 2020). "31 years for Natasimha #NBK, Bhanupriya , Bhagyasri,starrer Powerful Mass Hit #AshokaChakravarthy Directed by SS Ravichandra (29/06/1989) Music by Ilayaraja" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Ashoka Chakravarthy (Cast & Crew)". Chitr.com.
- "Ashoka Chakravarthy (Story)". The Cine Bay.
- "Ashoka Chakravarthy (Songs)". Raaga.