|Nationality||American, Czech, Israeli|
|Alma mater||Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|Awards||EMS Prize (2008) |
Salem Prize (2008)
Bôcher Memorial Prize (2011)
Nemmers Prize (2018)
Ostrowski Prize (2019)
|Fields||Mathematics, computer science|
|Institutions||Princeton University, NYU, Microsoft Research|
|Doctoral advisor||Joram Lindenstrauss|
Naor earned a baccalaureate from Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1996 and a doctorate from the same university in 2002, under the supervision of Joram Lindenstrauss. He worked at Microsoft Research from 2002 until 2007, with an affiliated faculty position at the University of Washington, and joined the NYU faculty in 2006.
Naor's research concerns metric spaces, their properties, and related algorithms, including improved upper bounds on the Grothendieck inequality, applications of this inequality, and research on metrical task systems.
Awards and honors
Naor won the Bergmann award of the United States – Israel Binational Science Foundation in 2007, and the Pazy award of the BSF in 2011. In 2012 he was one of four faculty winners of the Leonard Blavatnik Award of the New York Academy of Sciences, given to young scientists and engineers in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
He won the Salem Prize in 2008 for "contributions to the structural theory of metric spaces and its applications to computer science", and in the same year was given a European Mathematical Society Prize (one of ten awarded to outstanding younger mathematicians). He won the Bôcher Memorial Prize in 2011 "for introducing new invariants of metric spaces and for applying his new understanding of the distortion between various metric structures to theoretical computer science". In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society. He received the Nemmers Prize in Mathematics in 2018 and in 2019 the Ostrowski Prize.
He gave an invited talk at the International Congress of Mathematicians in 2010, on the topic of "Functional Analysis and Applications".
- Assaf Naor's home page at Princeton
- AMS Notices - April 2011
- Curriculum vitae, retrieved 2019-06-15.
- Assaf Naor at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Bergmann Memorial - List of Past Awards Archived 2009-11-25 at the Wayback Machine, BSF, retrieved 2013-02-23.
- Professor A. Pazy Award Archived 2019-01-19 at the Wayback Machine, BSF, retrieved 2013-02-23.
- 2012 Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists, NYAS, retrieved 2013-02-23.
- Assaf Naor receives the 2008 Salem Prize[permanent dead link], NYU, retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "2011 Bôcher Prize" (PDF), Notices of the AMS, 58 (4): 603–605, April 2011.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-02-23.
- Ostrowski Prize 2019
- "ICM Plenary and Invited Speakers since 1897". International Congress of Mathematicians.