|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Born||Athena Mae Duarte Imperial
2 February 1987 (age 29)
Casiguran, Aurora, Philippines
|Height||1.68 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||115 lb (52 kg)|
|Title(s)||Miss Philippines Earth 2011
Miss Earth Water 2011
|Miss Philippines Earth 2011
Miss Earth 2011
Athena Mae Duarte Imperial (born 2 February 1987) is a news field reporter, communication researcher and beauty queen from Casiguran, Aurora, Philippines. She competed in the eleventh edition of the national Miss Philippines Earth beauty pageant where she emerged as the winner and was crowned Miss Philippines Earth 2011. She was crowned Miss Earth-Water 2011 during the coronation night of the Miss Earth 2011 pageant held in the Philippines.
Miss Philippines Earth 2011
Imperial joined and represented Casiguran, Aurora in the national Miss Philippines Earth 2011, the largest and most widely participated beauty pageant in the Philippines with 50 official candidates participated in 2011. As a beauty titleholder, she fulfills her duty as one of the spokespersons of the Miss Earth Foundation, an environmental-social-humanitarian outreach arm of Miss Earth beauty pageant.
The pageant was participated by delegates representing various towns, cities, and overseas Filipino communities in the beauty contest that promotes environmental awareness. The event was telecast by ABS–CBN Broadcasting Corporation in the Philippines and by The Filipino Channel internationally.
Imperial was one of the initial 50 candidates, and after a series of four eliminations, she was announced as one of the final 10 finalists during the talent and cultural costume competitions at Thunderbird Resorts in Binangonan, Rizal.
In the final competition of the Miss Philippines Earth 2011, she competed and achieved one of the five highest scores in the swimsuit, and evening gown competitions for her stage chops and question and answer portion of the pageant. At the conclusion of the pageant, she won and was crowned Miss Philippines Earth 2011. She was crowned by the outgoing Miss Philippines Earth 2011 titleholder, Psyche Resus on 5 June 2011 at the Puerto Princesa City Coliseum in Palawan.
Imperial is 24 years old at the time of crowning and stands 5 feet and 5 inches in height. She works as a program researcher for one of the country's biggest networks the GMA network and she hopes to become a news reporter. She bested 49 other candidates in the beauty contest which is focused on the protection and preservation of Mother Earth. She also won the People's Choice award.
After her feat in the Miss Philippines Earth pageant, the governor of the Philippine province of Aurora remarked that Imperial would someday follow in her footsteps as governor and said: “Every time I heard her speak, I told myself one day she will become governor of Aurora,” because Imperial has a good political persona and given that she is a graduate of the country's premiere school, the University of the Philippines, where the Angaras had learned the hard knocks of life.
Imperial was born on 2 Feb 1987. She is the eldest child of Angel Imperial, a Philippine National Food Authority employee, and the former Mercy Duarte, a housewife. Formerly, she worked as a researcher and writer for GMA television network's investigative news magazine show, Reporter's Notebook. Now, she works as a news reporter at the said TV network.
Imperial got into a controversy for her misconstrued statement about Miss Universe 2011 Third Runner-up Shamcey Supsup when she was interviewed by Filipino television host Boy Abunda on the Bottomline on 25 June 2011. When Abunda asked Imperial, "If you are to compete with Shamcey in a pageant, what part of it will you stand out?" she made the quick answer, "Question-and-answer portion!" Her bold reply triggered negative reactions from different people on the Internet and social networking sites. Soon after, she clarified the issue of rivalry between her and Supsup through the Philippine Entertainment Portal (PEP), explaining that she was not underestimating the latter's ability, even expressing her intention to be friends with the latter.
Miss Earth-Water 2011
Imperial finished third place during the coronation night of the 2011 Miss Earth beauty pageant held 3 December 2011 at the University of the Philippines Theater, Diliman, Quezon City. She was crowned Miss Earth-Water.
- Schuck, Lorraine (1 May 2011). "Miss Municipality of Casiguran, Aurora". Miss Philippines Earth 2011 website. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- Patao Jr., Jose D. (10 June 2011). "Another goddess rules the Earth". Malaya. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Requintina, Robert. R. (6 June 2011). "New beauty queen anti-nukes". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- "Casiguran beauty wins Miss Philippines-Earth 2011". ABS-CBN News. 6 June 2011. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- Conejero, Ginger (7 May 2011). "Miss Philippines-Earth beauties tour Calapan, Mindoro". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Top 10 Miss Philippines Earth beauties ready for coronation night". ABS-CBN News. 29 May 2011. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- Dumaual, Mario V. (17 May 2011). "Ms. Philippines Earth 2011 beauties wow Quezon town". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Top 10 finalists of Miss Philippines Earth 2011 unveiled". ABS-CBN News. 23 May 2011. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- Uy, Ed (5 June 2011). "Who will be Miss Philippines-Earth 2011?". The Manila Times. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- Bañez, Mamer (10 June 2011). "Ms. Philippines-Earth could be Aurora gov". Journal Online. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "'Miss Philippines-Earth 2011' a gov-in-the-making?". The Philippine Star. 8 June 2011. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- Yazon, Giovanni Paolo J. (10 June 2011). "Candidate from Aurora is Miss Philippines-Earth 2011". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Miss Philippines-Earth 2011 Athena Mae Imperial clarifies misconstrued statement about Shamcey Supsup". Philippine Entertainment Portal. 14 October 2011. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "PH bet finishes 3rd in Miss Earth 2011". ABS-CBN. 4 December 2011. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
|Awards and achievements|
|Miss Philippines Earth