ARM Cement Limited
|Industry||Manufacture & Distribution of Cement|
|Headquarters||Athi River, Kenya|
Managing Director & CEO
|Revenue||US$15.4 million (KES:1.35 billion) (2013)|
|Total assets||US$340 million (KES:29.7 billion) (2013)|
ARM Cement Limited, formerly Athi River Mining Limited, but commonly referred to as ARM is a mining and manufacturing company in Kenya, the largest economy in the East African Community. The company is headquartered in Nairobi and its stock is listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange.
ARM Cement is one of the largest manufactures of cement in Eastern Africa, accounting for 2.6 metric tonnes annually in 2014. ARM has operations in Kenya, Tanzania, and South Africa. Products manufactured include cement, fertilizers, quicklime, hydrated lime, sodium silicate and other industrial minerals. A new factory planned in Kitui, Kenya, is expected online in three to four years and will cost an estimated US$400 million to construct. Once operational, Kitui will increase ARM Cement Limited's production capacity to 5 million tonnes annually.
As of December 2013, the company's total assets were valued at US$340 million (KES:29.7 billion), with shareholders' equity of about US$94 million (KES:8.223 billion).
His son, Pradeep Paunrana, is the current Managing Director and CEO of the company. In Kenya, the company has factories in Mombasa and Athi River, where their first cement factory was established in 1994. Cement production at Athi River Commenced in 1996.
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Amanat Investments Limited||28|
|2||Paunrana Pradeep Harjivandas||18|
|3||CfC Stanbic Bank Nominees A/C Nr 01503||7|
|4||ARM Cement Limited ESOP||4|
|5||Standard Chartered Nominees Non-Resident A/C: 9318||3|
|6||Tannel World Limited||1|
|7||Standard Chartered Bank a/c Pan African unit linked Fund||1|
|8||Standard Chartered Nominees Account KE 17984||1|
|9||Standard Chartered Nominees non-resident. a/c 967||1|
|10||Anjana Pradeep Paunrama||1|
The company is divided into the following divisions:
The company brand, "Rhino Cement" is manufactured in Kaloleni and Athi River in Kenya, and at company owned factories in Tanga and Dar es Salaam in Tanzania. ARM Cement maintains shareholding in Kigali Cement Company, a cement company in Rwanda and in a South African cement company.
- Mineral and Chemicals
The division is responsible for the manufacture of "Special Building Products, Sodium Silicate and Industrial Minerals.
This division produces fertilizer at the Athi River factory, under the brand "Mavuno Fertilizer".
- Rhino Foundation
Established in 2010, to invest in the communities where ARM Cement has a presence.
- Mugwe, David (10 July 2013). "ARM Cement Increases Tanzania Investment As Profit Up 28 Percent". The EastAfrican (Nairobi). Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- M.W., . (2011). "Athi River Mining Shrugs Off Pricing Pressure To Cement Its New-Found Position In The Market". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Nation Media Group. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- Mwakio, Philip (12 February 2014). "ARM To Set Up A $400 Million Cement Plant In Kitui County". The Standard (Kenya). Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "ARM Cement Limited: Audited Annual Financial Report, 31` December 2013" (PDF). ARM Cement Limited. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "Mavuno Fertilizer". ARM. 2014-11-10. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- Biko, Jackson (12 September 2013). "It All Started With A Bunch of Keys". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- "ARM Cement 2014 Annual Report" (PDF). ARM Cement. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "The Divisions of ARM Cement". ARM Cement Limited. Retrieved 18 October 2014.