Au bord d'une source
There are three separate versions of Au bord d'une source. The first version appears in Liszt's set Album d'un voyageur (1834–1838), and the second in the first suite of Liszt's Années de pèlerinage (1836–1855). The last version is almost identical to the second, except for the final nine bars, which were added by Liszt as a coda for his Italian piano student Giovanni Sgambati, who was also a composer; this lengthened the piece by about 30 seconds. The coda was written in 1863.
The second version of Au bord d'une source is often regarded as the most popular. In the first version the technical difficulties are considerably higher to the pianist, whilst the last version adds a flashy coda.
The main theme of Au bord d’une source comprises a pattern of arpeggiated semiquavers in the right hand with short notes in the left, firstly played below the right hand and then played two octaves higher, above the right hand. This constant crossing over of hands places considerable technical demands on the amateur pianist.
Liszt links the various sections of the piece together using passages of intricate scale and arpeggio patterns ascending high into the upper register, descending back down and transforming back into the melody; this allows the whole piece to flow as one.
The following pianists have recorded the piece, among others:
Pianist Duration Record Label Recording Date Album Vladimir Horowitz 03:31 Philips Records 1947 Vladimir Horowitz II Vladimir Horowitz 04:12 RCA Victor Red Seal 1975 Horowitz Rediscovered /Carnegie Hall Recital 1975 Wilhelm Kempff 04:03 Decca 1950s Franz Liszt: Années de pelèrinage / Deux Légendes Sviatoslav Richter 03:07 Parnassus 1958 Sviatoslav Richter in the 1950s, Vol. 3 Jorge Bolet 03:59 Philips Records 1983 Jorge Bolet II Claudio Arrau 04:08 Pearl 1928 The Early Recordings Eugen d'Albert 03:33 Pearl 1916 The Pupils of Liszt Jenő Jandó 03:50 Naxos Records 1991 Liszt: Années de Pèlerinage I (Switzerland) Leslie Howard 04:56 Hyperion Records 1996 Liszt: Deuxième Année de Pèlerinage - Italie/Venezia e Napoli Tony MacAlpine 03:18 Shrapnel Records 1999 Master of Paradise
- Giovanni Sgambati at Encyclopædia Britannica
- The complete music for solo piano, Vol. 43 – 2e Année de pèlerinage at Hyperion Records
- Au Bord d'une Source at allmusic
- IMSLP Score (pages 16 - 23) Archived October 31, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Vladimir Horowitz II at allmusic
- Decca LXT 2572
- Sviatoslav Richter in the 1950s, Vol. 3 at allmusic
- Jorge Bolet II at allmusic
- The Early Recordings at allmusic
- The Pupils of Liszt at allmusic
- Jandó - Liszt: Years of Pilgrimage, Vol. 1
- Liszt: Deuxième Année de Pèlerinage - Italie/Venezia e Napoli at allmusic
- Master of Paradise[dead link]