|Range of A. huallagae in Peru|
The yellow-browed toucanet (Aulacorhynchus huallagae) is a rare species of bird in the family Ramphastidae. Among the least known members of the family, it is endemic to humid forests growing on the east Andean slope in northern Peru.
This species is extremely range-restricted and is known from only three small and relatively inaccessible locations in Peru: Cumpang/Utcubamba in La Libertad Region, Río Abiseo National Park, San Martín Region, and Leymebambe. It is threatened by habitat loss, and consequently considered endangered by IUCN.
This all-green toucanet has a distinctive short yellow line behind eye and blue breast-band. The blue-grey bill has a narrow white line at base blending into a white throat. The central tail feathers are tipped with chestnut. Uniquely among Aulacorhynchus toucanets, its vent is bright yellow. It is 37–44 cm (15–17 in) long and weighs 250–278 g (8.8–9.8 oz). It is very similar to the blue-banded toucanet, from which it differs mainly in the bill pattern.
The voice is a monotonously repeated short, dry rattling cuah cuah cuah.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Aulacorhynchus huallagae". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Overview - Yellow-browed Toucanet (Aulacorhynchus huallagae) - Neotropical Birds". neotropical.birds.cornell.edu. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "Aulacorhynchus huallagae (Yellow-browed Toucanet)". www.iucnredlist.org. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- BirdLife species factsheet for Aulacorhynchus huallagae
- Short, Lester L.; Horne, Jennifer (2001). Toucans, Barbets & Honeyguides. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-854666-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aulacorhynchus huallagae.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Aulacorhynchus huallagae|
- Yellow-browed toucanet Image at Animal Diversity Web (ADW)
- "Aulacorhynchus huallagae". Avibase.
- "Yellow-browed toucanet media". Internet Bird Collection.
- Yellow-browed toucanet photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Interactive range map of Aulacorhynchus huallagae at IUCN Red List maps
- Audio recordings of Yellow-browed toucanet on Xeno-canto.
|This Piciformes-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|