- For the film based on the novel, see Austenland (film)
|May 29, 2007|
|LC Class||PS3608.A54584 A95 2007|
|Followed by||Midnight in Austenland|
Austenland tells the story of 30-something Jane Hayes, an average New York woman who secretly has an unhealthy obsession with Mr. Darcy from the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. But after Jane accidentally reveals her secret to a great aunt, who shortly after dies, Jane gets the opportunity of a lifetime. In her great aunt's will, Jane's great aunt leaves Jane a trip to a Jane Austen–themed getaway destination where Jane hopes to meet her own real life Mr. Darcy.
While at "Austenland", Jane is plagued with self-doubt about pretending to be a woman from the Jane Austen era. However, along the journey Jane makes new friends and finds two new romantic interests.
Ella Taylor of the Los Angeles Times described the novel as "some lit lite to see you through a day at the beach". Another reviewer summed the work up as "an utterly enjoyable tribute" to the work of Jane Austen. Stephenie Meyer, the author of the Twilight series, declared that the novel was "Adorable! The best tribute to obsessed Austen freaks (like me) that I've ever read."
Awards and nominations
- Book Sense pick for June 2007
- Wall Street Journal "notable book" for summer 2007
The novel was adapted into a film scripted by Hale and Jerusha Hess. The cast includes Keri Russell, JJ Feild, Jennifer Coolidge, Bret McKenzie, Georgia King, Ricky Whittle, Richard Reid, and Jane Seymour. Stephenie Meyer produced the film.
- 2007, USA, Bloomsbury USA ISBN 1-59691-285-5, Pub date 29 May 2007, Hardback
- 2007, USA, Audio Renaissance ISBN 1-4272-0141-2, Pub date 29 May 2007, Audiobook
- Taylor, Ella (2007-07-08). "Bulletin: Darcy isn't real, get used to it". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- "Bloomsbury - Austenland". Bloomsbury Publishing. 2007-07-03. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- Hale, Shannon. "Book Reviews: Austenland". The Official Site of Shannon Hale. Archived from the original on 2014-08-08. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- "Keri Russell, JJ Feild & Bret McKenzie For Austenland", This Is Fake DIY, 6 July 2011, retrieved 2011-07-08
- Books: austenland on the author's official website
- NPR: Flirting with Fiction and Fantasy in 'Austenland'