Australian Biological Resources Study (ABRS) is a project undertaken by the Parks Australia Division of Australia's Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water.
ABRS was founded in 1973 from the recommendations of a 1972 Senate Select Committee report on Wildlife Conservation. ABRS was first set up as an Interim Council in 1973, followed by the establishment of the Study proper in 1978. The main aim of the Interim Council was to stimulate the study of taxonomy, distribution and ecology of Australia's biological resources via research grants, and for assessing the long term national requirements for taxonomic studies and maintenance of national collections of biological specimens.
A core aim of the ABRS is to provide funding to support research on taxonomy and systematics for Australia's biota.
The first grants offered by ABRS were to support the collection and scientific description of Australian plants and animals. Up to $750,000 was made available across three financial years: 1973–74, 1974–75 and 1975–76, with the scheme topped up with $250,000 for each of 1976–77 and 1977–78. In total, 89 projects were funded during the five year period.
Sponsored publications from grants, or publishing projects include:
- Adams, Laurence G; Thiele, K. R; Australian Biological Resources Study (2001), Families of flowering plants of Australia: an interactive identification guide (Rev. ed.), CSIRO Publishing, ISBN 978-0-643-06721-9
- Cribb, Thomas Herbert; Bray, R. A; Wright, T. (Trudy) (1996), Trematodes of Australian fishes: an analysis of the diversity of trematodes of Australian fishes prepared in conjunction with a final report for the ABRS grant of the same name, Dept. of Parasitology, The University of Queensland, retrieved 22 February 2020
- Huisman, John Marinus; Australian Biological Resources Study (2000), Marine plants of Australia, University of Western Australia Press in association with Australian Biological Resources Study, ISBN 978-1-876268-33-6
- Australian Biological Resources Study (1979), Australian biological resources study, 1973-78, Australian Government Publishing Service, ISBN 978-0-642-90765-3
- Australian Biological Resources Study: Annual report, Australian Government Publishing Service, 1982, ISSN 0816-2840
- Flora of Australia, CSIRO Publishing, 1981, ISBN 978-0-643-06454-6
- "Australian Biological Resources Study (ABRS)". Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts. Archived from the original on 15 June 2006. Retrieved 27 June 2006.