Autistic art is art created by autistic artists or art which captures or conveys a variety of autistic experiences or demeanor. Art by autistic artists has long been shown in separate venues from artists without disabilities. and the art of those with autism has often been considered part of Outsider Art The works of some autistic artists have featured in art publications, documentaries and been exhibited in mainstream galleries.
Stephen Wiltshire is one of the most famous autistic artists. His works are largely architectural or of cityscapes, monuments and buildings. Other autistic artists producing representational art include Richard Wawro, Jessica Hillary Park and Ping Lian Yeak.
Christophe Pillault and Donna Williams focus on figurative works with an emphasis on movement. Both artists feature in the award-winning book ARTism by Bernice Pelletier and Karen Simmons and published by Autism Today. Christophe Pillault paints with his hands. His works were featured in the book Art of the Mind published by the M.I.N.D Institute.
Mark Rimland is a self-taught American whose drawings and paintings are often figurative and feature people and cats. The son of autism pioneer Bernard Rimland, Mark was featured in the documentary Lifting The Fog; A Look Into The Mysteries of Autism, in ARTism and illustrated the book The Secret Night World Of Cats.
Larry Bissonnette and Henriett Seth F. make abstract, highly patterned works. Roibeard Catnip Tull, Sarah Daisey Van Diesel, Karen Johnson, Silke Heyer, and Kristina Teskey also make abstract works.
Gilles Trehin and George Widener do detailed imaginary worlds. Gilles is a self-taught French artist who works in pencil, largely architectural. He represents an imaginary world called Urville through his sketches. He was featured in the BBC4 documentary Art Savant: The City Inside My Head.
- Jonathan Lerman primarily draws portraits
- govy French artist
- James Henry Pullen created 3D sculptural works
- Autism: The Musical
- Henriett Seth F. is a Hungarian autistic savant poet, writer and artist
- Life Animated, a 2016 documentary featuring Owen Suskind's Disney fan art
- Henry Darger was suspected to have autism, and became famous for the posthumous discovery of his 15,145 pages manuscript & accompanying paintings and drawings
- AutismConnect - Museums thrust autistic artists into the mainstream
- Rutherford, Megan (2001-04-08). "Portrait of the Autist". Time. Archived from the original on 22 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- Ping Lian Yeak - A Remarkable Artist | Wisconsin Medical Society Archived December 13, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Johan Fernandez. "Ping Lian, 12, is autistic and a hit in New York". Global Malaysians. Archived from the original on 2006-03-28.
- Cardinal R (2009). "Outsider Art and the autistic creator". Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 364 (1522): 1459–66. doi:10.1098/rstb.2008.0325. PMC 2677583. PMID 19528031.
- Christophe Pillault - A Remarkable Artist | Wisconsin Medical Society Archived December 13, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Artism Archived April 11, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Simmons, Karen (2004). Pelletier, Bernice (ed.). Artism : art by those with autism. Seattle: Autism Today. ISBN 9781594570056.
- "M.I.N.D. Institute Shares Expressive Art Collection Through New Book". Newswise (Press release). University of California, Davis, Health System. 22 December 2003. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
- Landalf, Helen (1997). The secret night world of cats. illustrated by Mark Rimland (1st ed.). Lyme, NH: Smith and Kraus. ISBN 978-1575251172.
- Smith, Roberta (1999-01-22). "ART REVIEW; Redefining a Style As It Catches On". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- Henriett Seth F. - Rain Girl | Wisconsin Medical Society Archived February 25, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- George Widener - A Multiply Gifted Savant | Wisconsin Medical Society Archived December 17, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Wisconsin Medical Society Archived December 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Art Savant: The City Inside my Head". Channel 4. Archived from the original on 9 November 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-15.