||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Avram "Avie" Glazer is part of the Glazer family, who control First Allied Corporation, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL, and who own the English football club Manchester United. He is the son of Malcolm Glazer.
Early life and education
Glazer was born to a Jewish family, the son of Linda and Malcolm Glazer, American businessman and billionaire. Glazer received his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Washington University in St. Louis in 1982 and graduated from the Washington College of Law at American University. He also studied at Beijing University and Fudan University in Shanghai.
Since 2005, Glazer has been the Executive Co-Chairman of Manchester United, alongside his brother Joel. Manchester United is the most popular sports team in the world with 659 million fans. During his tenure, Manchester United has captured five Premier League titles (2007–09, 2011 and 2013), the 2008 Champions League title, three Football League Cups (2006, 2009, 2010) and the FIFA Club World Cup in 2008.
From 1995 until 2009 he was also the former chairman, president and chief executive officer of Zapata Corporation. Zapata Corporation was founded by George H. W. Bush (later 41st President of the USA). Glazer was also formerly chairman and chief executive officer of both Safety Components International and Omega Protein Corporation. He was formerly a member of the board of directors of Specialty Equipment Corporation.
Philanthropy and Personal life
Glazer helped fund the Glazer Children's Museum in Tampa, Florida. Glazer and his wife Jill also made possible the Glazer Family Club at Tulane University's Yulman Stadium. Glazer received the Distinguished Alumni award in 2013 from Washington University in St. Louis.
- The Guardian: "The Guardian profile: Malcolm Glazer" by Nils Pratley February 10, 2005
- Tampa Bay Times: "The owner, the enigma" By SCOTT BARANCIK and DAMIAN CRISTODERO December 26, 2004
- "Celebrating Washington University by celebrating distinguished faculty and alumni at Founders Day | The Source | Washington University in St. Louis". The Source. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- Gibson, Owen (2012-05-29). "Manchester United 'most popular team in world' with 659 million fans". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Trophy Room - Official Manchester United Website". www.manutd.com. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Avie Glazer". www.buccaneers.com. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Executive profile: Avram A. Glazer". Businessweek. Retrieved 2010-12-27.
- "Giving to Tulane - The Glazers: Making Tulane Dreams Come True". giving.tulane.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Celebrating Washington University by celebrating distinguished faculty and alumni at Founders Day". brownschool.wustl.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- NoLa Defender: "Football to Return Uptown: Tulane to Build On-Campus Stadium" by Brad Rhines December 8, 2011
- The Glazer Family Foundation - About Us: Avie Glazer retrieved August 4, 2012
- Tulane Alumni Association Awards - Alumna Volunteer Award 2010: Jill Henkin Glazer, NC '85 retrieved August 4, 2012
Sir Roy Gardner
|Manchester United F.C. chairman
with Joel Glazer (2005–)