Avram "Avie" Glazer is an American businessman, a member of the Glazer family, who own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL, and who control the English football club Manchester United. He is the son of Malcolm Glazer.
Early life and education
Glazer was born to a Jewish family, the son of Linda and Malcolm Glazer, American businessman and billionaire. Glazer grew up in Rochester, New York and attended Pittsford Mendon High School. Glazer received his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Washington University in St. Louis in 1982 and graduated from the Washington College of Law at American University. He also studied at Peking University and Fudan University in Shanghai.
Since 2005, Glazer has been the Executive Co-Chairman of Manchester United. During his tenure, Manchester United have captured 18 trophies - five Premier League titles (2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2013), the 2008 Champions League title, the 2017 Europa League trophy, one FA Cup (2016), four Football League Cups (2006, 2009, 2010, 2017), five FA Community Shields (2007, 2008, 2010, 2014, and 2016) and the FIFA Club World Cup in 2008.
From 1995 until 2009 he was also the former chairman and chief executive officer of Zapata Corporation. Zapata Corporation was founded by George H. W. Bush (later 41st President of the United States). Glazer was also formerly chairman and chief executive officer of both Safety Components International and Omega Protein Corporation. He was formerly a member of the board of directors of Specialty Equipment Corporation.
Philanthropy and Personal life
The Glazer Family Foundation, established in 1999, is dedicated to assisting charitable and educational causes in the West Central Florida region. It works with youth and families to help identify and create programs that support positive social and economic development within these communities. Since its inception, the Foundation has given millions in programs, grants, tickets and merchandise to the Tampa Bay area, including the “Cheering You On” program, which gives every child admitted to seven local hospitals a Buccaneers teddy bear and activity book. To date, more than 381,000 teddy bears have been distributed to hospitalized children throughout central Florida. Other Glazer Family Foundation initiatives include the Vision Mobile and the Gameday for Kids programs.
Glazer helped fund the Glazer Children's Museum in Tampa, Florida. Glazer and his wife Jill also made possible the Glazer Family Club at Tulane University's Yulman Stadium. Glazer received the Distinguished Alumni award in 2013 from Washington University in St. Louis.
- The Guardian: "The Guardian profile: Malcolm Glazer" by Nils Pratley February 10, 2005
- Tampa Bay Times: "The owner, the enigma" By SCOTT BARANCIK and DAMIAN CRISTODERO December 26, 2004
- "Celebrating Washington University by celebrating distinguished faculty and alumni at Founders Day | The Source | Washington University in St. Louis". The Source. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Trophy Room - Official Manchester United Website". www.manutd.com. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Avie Glazer". www.buccaneers.com. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Executive profile: Avram A. Glazer". Businessweek. Retrieved December 27, 2010.
- "Giving to Tulane - The Glazers: Making Tulane Dreams Come True". giving.tulane.edu. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Celebrating Washington University by celebrating distinguished faculty and alumni at Founders Day". brownschool.wustl.edu. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- NoLa Defender: "Football to Return Uptown: Tulane to Build On-Campus Stadium" by Brad Rhines December 8, 2011
Sir Roy Gardner
| Manchester United F.C. chairman
with Joel Glazer (2005–)