Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Edited by||Irene Pala|
BMC Bioinformatics is an online open access scientific journal that publishes original, peer-reviewed research in bioinformatics and computational biology. The journal is part of a series of BMC journals covering specific areas of biology and medicine. The BMC series is published by the UK-based publisher BioMed Central.
BMC Bioinformatics was founded in 2000 publishing its first article on Metabolic flux analysis. The journals that cited BMC Bioinformatics the most were Nucleic Acids Research, Bioinformatics, BMC Genomics, PLoS Computational Biology and Genome Biology.
Abstracting and indexing
BMC Bioinformatics is indexed and abstracted in:
Output and citation information
|Year||Impact Factor||Total Articles||Total Cites|
Publication concept and availability
“Open access” means that all articles published by BMC Bioinformatics can be universally, freely and permanently accessed via the Internet immediately upon publication. The published articles can be reused provided that correct citation is given.
The journal combined a peer review process with the open access publishing to promote transparency and more useful publication. After submission, manuscripts are usually reviewed by at least two experts, and will be sent to peer reviewers. BMC Bioinformatics currently uses a closed peer review system.
Four types of articles are published by BMC Bioinformatics: research articles, database articles, methodology articles and software articles. Each article type follows a specific format. When submitting online, authors need to choose an article type and follow the instructions.
Articles of BMC Bioinformatics are grouped into 10 sections for easy searching:
- Comparative genomics
- Imaging, image analysis and data visualization
- Knowledge-based analysis
- Networks analysis
- Results and data
- Sequence analysis (applications)
- Sequence analysis (methods)
- Structural analysis
- Transcriptome analysis
Also, the journal has been launching article collections, the latest of which is a new thematic series focusing on Biological Data Visualization.
Supplements based on proceedings, reviews or research are published as well. Articles in supplements are also subject to peer review and can be accessed freely online.
Because BMC Bioinformatics does not have subscription charges for its content, the journal charges authors an article-processing fee of £1325/US$2255/€1675 (as of 10 Sep 2014) for each article to be published. This model allows the journal to make all articles open access. Several discounts are offered if the author meets certain requirements, and authors with insufficient funds can apply for a waiver during the submission process.
- Edwards JS, Palsson BO (2000). "Metabolic flux balance analysis and the in silico analysis of Escherichia coli K-12 gene deletions". BMC Bioinformatics 1: 1. doi:10.1186/1471-2105-1-1. PMC 29061. PMID 11001586.
- Journal Citation Reports 2008 Science Edition. ISI Web of Science.
- "Journal Citation Reports". Web of Science. Thomson Reuters.
- 2013 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2014.
- "BioMed Central Open Access Charter". BioMed Central.
- Marshall, Diana. "What is the BMC series?". BioMed Central blog. BioMed Central. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Guide for BMC Bioinformatics reviewers". BMC Bioinformatics. BioMed Central. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "BMC Bioinformatics Sections". BMC Bioinformatics. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Biological Data Visualization". BMC Bioinformatics. BioMed Central.
- "About BMC Bioinformatics". BMC Bioinformatics. BioMed Central. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Media from BMC Bioinformatics.|