Bacteriastrum is a genus of diatoms in family Chaetocerotaceae. There are more than 30 described species in genus Bacteriastrum, but many of these are not currently accepted, and new species are still added to the genus. The type species for the genus is Bacteriastrum furcatum Shadbolt.
Bacteriastrum is a widely distributed marine, planktonic genus. This genus is often associated with Chaetoceros but differs in radial symmetry and fenestration of setae. The colonies tend to lie in girdle view, and the cells are separated by the curvature of the basal part of the setae, leaving a small gap between the cells. The cells are cylindrical and linked to form filaments. Each cell has several long, radiating setae which may be simple or bifurcate (branched), the setae from adjacent cells are fused. The plastids are discoid. At least one species, B. solitarium, exists as single cells.
- Bacteriastrum biconicum
- Bacteriastrum comosum Pavilliard
- Bacteriastrum delicatulum Cleve
- Bacteriastrum elegans
- Bacteriastrum elongatum Cleve
- Bacteriastrum furcatum Shadbolt
- Bacteriastrum hyalinum Lauder
- Bacteriastrum mediterraneum
- Bacteriastrum parallelum D. Sarno, A. Zingone & D. Marino
- Bacteriastrum solitarium Mangin
- Bacteriastrum varians
- Tomas, C. R., Hasle G. R., Syvertsen, E. E., Steidinger, K. A., Tangen, K., Throndsen, J., Heimdal, B. R., (1997). Identifying Marine Phytoplankton, Academic Press.
- Sarno, D., Zingone, A. & Marino, D. (1997). Bacteriastrum parallelum sp. nov., a new diatom from the Gulf of Naples, and new observations on B. furcatum (Chaetocerotaceae, Bacillariophyta). Phycologia 36: 257-266
- Round, F. E. and Crawford, R. M. (1990). The Diatoms. Biology and Morphology of the Genera, Cambridge University Press, UK.
-  Encyclopedia of Life
Kooistra, Wiebe H.C.F.; Sarno, Diana; Hernandez-Becerril, David U.; Assmy, Philipp; Di Prisco, Carmen; Montresor, Marina (September 2010). "Comparative molecular and morphological phylogenetic analyses of taxa in the Chaetocerotaceae (Bacillariophyta)". Phycologia. 49 (5): 471–500. doi:10.2216/09591. Retrieved 10 February 2015.
Godrijan, Jelena; Daniela, Marie; Mirna, Imesek; Ivica, Janekovic; Michael, Schweikert; Martin, Pfannkuchen (1 August 2012). "Diversity, occurrence, and habitats of the diatom genus Bacteriastrum (Bacillariophyta) in the northern Adriatic Sea, with the description of B. jadranum sp. nov". Botanica Marina. 55 (4): 415–426. doi:10.1515/bot-2011-0021.