From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Balş)
For other uses, see Balș (disambiguation).
|This article does not cite any sources. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• Mayor||Vitalie Staicu (Social Democratic Party)|
|• Total||41.13 km2 (15.88 sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
There are three hypotheses about the town's name:
- The locality was named after the Balșița brook.
- The name comes from the Turkish word "Baliş" (honey) as there is a large apiculture area there.
- A boyar named Balș settled here in the 5th or 6th century.
- 1864 - 1,700 inhabitants.
- 1884 - 2,500 inhabitants.
- 1921 - 5,000 inhabitants.
- 1938 - 5,300 inhabitants.
- 1948 - 6,128 inhabitants.
- 1973 - 11,578 inhabitants.
- 1992 - 24,560 inhabitants.
- 2002 - 21,195 inhabitants.
The composition from the last census, sorted by nationality:
- * 20,552 Romanians
- * 619 Romani
- * 27 others
The composition from the last census, sorted by religion:
- * 21,043 Eastern Orthodox
- * 47 Seventh-Day Adventists
- * 36 Baptists
- * 19 Pentecostalists
- * 8 Roman-Catholics
- * 5 Atheists
- * 32 other religion
- 1450 - The estimated date when Balș was established.
- 1564 - First mention of Balș in a document
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Balș.|
|This Olt County location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|