Location in Olt County
|• Mayor||Constantin Stelian Emil Moţ (PSD)|
|Area||53.93 km2 (20.82 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET/EEST (UTC+2/+3)|
Slatina (Romanian pronunciation: [ˈslatina], Bulgarian: Слатина) is the capital city of Olt County, Romania, on the river Olt. It is located in the south of Romania, on the eastern side of the river Olt, in the historical region of Muntenia. The population was 70,293 in 2011; the urban area has around 85,000 inhabitants. It is an important industrial center.
The city administers one village, Cireașov.
|Source: Census data|
The town of Slatina was first mentioned on January 20, 1368 in an official document issued by Vladislav I Vlaicu, Prince of Wallachia. The document stated that merchants from the Transylvanian city of Brașov would not pay customs when passing through Slatina. The word Slatina is of Slavic origin, and means "marsh, swamp, watery plain".
Alro Slatina, the largest aluminum producing factories in Southeastern Europe, is located in the city. Other companies based in Slatina include ALPROM (which, like ALRO, is a subsidiary of VIMETCOGROUP), Altur (engine set manufacturer), Pirelli Tires Romania (tire-manufacturer), Steel Cord Romania (steel cord for tires), TMK Artrom (seamless steel tubes), Prysmian (electronic and electric wires and cables) and Benteler.
The women's handball section of CSM Slatina also represent the city in the top handball league of Romania.
- Petre S. Aurelian - politician
- Aurelia Brădeanu - handball player
- Ionel Dănciulescu - football player
- Felicia Filip - operatic soprano
- Iulian Filipescu - football player
- Mădălina Diana Ghenea - actress and model
- Eugène Ionesco - playwright
- Claudiu Niculescu - football player
- Monica Niculescu - tennis player
- "Results of the 2016 local elections". Central Electoral Bureau. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
- "Populaţia stabilă pe judeţe, municipii, oraşe şi localităti componenete la RPL_2011" (in Romanian). National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Carl Voretzsch, Romanistische Arbeiten, Volume 54, Issue 2, M. Niemeyer, 1960, p. 504.
- (in Romanian) "Atletul albanez al halviței cu bragă" ("The Albanian Athlete of Nougat and Boza"), in Gândul, April 12, 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Slatina, Romania.|