Baldwin Senior High School (New York)
|Baldwin High School|
|841 Ethel T. Kloberg Drive
Baldwin, New York 11510
|School district||Baldwin Union Free School District|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Enrollment||1,635 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.0:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and gold|
Baldwin High School is a public secondary school located in Baldwin, Nassau County, New York. The school serves students in grades 9 to 12 in the Baldwin Union Free School District. It is the eighth largest in Nassau County.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,635 students and 125.5 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.0:1. There were 262 students (16.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 15 (0.9% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Baldwin Senior High School is a Nationally Recognized School of Excellence. It was ranked by Newsweek in its annual list of America's Best High Schools. In 2010, it was ranked #837 in the entire United States, #804 in 2008, #971 in 2007, and #602 in 2006.
The high school offers a multitude of extracurricular clubs, varsity sports, and a robotics team. The Baldwin Lady Bruins won the NYS Championship in 2017 as well as eight sectional titles. Baldwin Boys Basketball, Football, Field Hockey and Boys Track Teams have all won sectional championships. Baldwin Senior High School offers Advanced Placement courses that may enable students to earn college credit, and the school produced two National Merit Commended Students, who achieved scores in the top 5% of the more than 1.5 million students who took the PSAT in 2009.
- Dee Snider - singer-songwriter, screenwriter, radio personality, and actor; most famous for his role as the frontman of the heavy metal band Twisted Sister (Baldwin class of 1973).
- Scott Rudin - film producer and theatrical producer; in 2012, became one of the few people who have won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony Award, and the first producer to do so (Baldwin class of 1976).
- Taylor Dayne - singer who has seven Billboard Top Ten hits; also known as Leslie Wunderman (Baldwin class of 1980).
- James McLurkin - Professor of Robotics and Electrical Engineering at Rice University. Earned SB (EE) and PhD (CS) at MIT, MS (EE) UC Berkley (Baldwin class of 1990).
- Chris Weidman - NY State Wrestling Champion; two-time D-1 All-American wrestler at Hofstra; professional mixed martial artist Former UFC Middleweight Champion (Baldwin class of 2002).
- Melanie Martinez - singer/songwriter who placed sixth on season 3 of The Voice (Baldwin class of 2013).
- School data for Baldwin Senior High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Baldwin UFSD website
- "Chris Weidman UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.
|This New York (state) school–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|