Barasat Peary Charan Sarkar Government High School
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Peary Charan Sarkar Government High School
বারাসাত প্যারীচরণ সরকার রাষ্ট্রীয় উচ্চ বিদ্যালয়
Barasat, North 24 Parganas,Kolkata
West Bengal, India
|School type||Government Boys' school|
|Founder||Peary Charan Sarkar|
|School district||North 24 PGS.|
|Headmaster||Prabal Ranjan Sengupta|
|Colour(s)||Black and white|
|Affiliations||West Bengal Board of Secondary Education, West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education|
Barasat Peary Charan Sarkar Government High School (Bengali: বারাসাত প্যারীচরণ সরকার রাষ্ট্রীয় উচ্চ বিদ্যালয়) in Barasat (a suburb of Kolkata in the state of West Bengal, India) is a boys school. The school was established in 1846 by the efforts of Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar and Peary Charan Sarkar, and others. The original and most popular name of the school was Barasat Government High School.
The school was started at a site not far from the present location. However, to accommodate the increasing number of students, a permanent building was built. The original building still exists but has been condemned since the early 1990s. The official name of the school was changed from Barasat Government High School to Barasat Peary Charan Sarkar Government High School in 1996, in the honour of Peary Charan Sarkar who established the school.
The school has the following buildings:
- The historic old building was built in the 1850s, and condemned since the early 1990s.
- The north wing is a stretch of about five large classrooms and two small rooms.
- The southward double-storeyed main building, along with the annexe built almost 30 years ago, houses the office of the headmaster, the laboratories, and several classrooms. A bust of the Peary Charan Sarkar, the founder of the school, welcomes the visitors at the entrance of this block.
- The new block is next to the main entrance of school.
- The teachers' block lies south of the new block and houses the library besides the teachers' room where the teachers can be found during recess.
- The quarter of the resident Headmaster is another old section of the school, dating back to the British Raj. The quarters are towards the back (to the east) of the school premises. There is an old shooting range about 100 meters north to this quarters. American G.I.s stationed at the barracks in the nearby Sethpukur field during the World War II were said to have practised at that shooting range.
- Inside the campus is a pond, a playing field (shared with the Barasat Government College), several smaller playing fields and a mango grove.
These include creative arts and sport.
Besides the annual sports events, the school has a team that participates in the District level championships.
- The Saraswati Puja is an annual ceremony.
- An autumn-cultural ceremony, including intra-institution award distribution.
- In January there is a prizegiving ceremony for students, and cultural events organized by the alumni association.(Bengali: বারাসাত গভর্ণমেন্ট স্কুল প্রাক্তন ছাত্র সমিতি)
The school is a higher secondary school, from class 1 to 12. The curriculum is as per "West Bengal Board of Secondary Education" (till class 10) and "West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education" (Class 11 and 12). The common curriculum is followed till class 10. In class 11 and 12, there are 3 streams: Science, Commerce and Arts.
Subjects offered Grade I to V: Bengali, English, History, Geography, Mathematics, Sciences, Art, Physical Education.
Subjects offered Grade VI to X: English, Bengali, Mathematics, History, Geography, Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, Computer science, Physical Education, Work Education including arts. Additional subjects: Additional Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Mechanics, Computer science, Book keeping and accounts, Additional Biology, Pisciculture, Sanskrit, Arabic, Work Education and Physical Education.
Subjects offered Grades XI to XII: English, Bengali, Sanskrit, Geography, History, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Accounting, Business mathematics, Economic Geography.