Storey at the 2012 Paralympics
|Born||13 March 1977 (age 41)|
|Sport||Paralympic track cycling|
Richard Barnaby "Barney" Storey MBE (born 13 March 1977) is a British cyclist. He rides as a sighted pilot for blind or partially sighted athletes in tandem track cycling events. He competed at the 2004, 2008 and 2012 Paralympic Games and won three gold medals.
At the 2004 Summer Paralympics he participated in two tandem track cycling events, acting as the sighted pilot for Daniel Adam Gordon. The pair finished fourth in the sprint and fifth in the 1 km time trial. In 2005 he won the British national title for the 200 metres tandem sprint competing with Craig MacLean. At the 2006 British National Tandem Sprint Championships held in Newcastle Storey defended the title partnered by partially sighted Paralympian Anthony Kappes; this made them the first Paralympic team to hold the able-bodied national title. Storey won gold medals in both the sprint and time trial at the 2006 World Disability Championships and defended both titles successfully in 2007.
At the 2008 Paralympics in Beijing, China, Storey competed as the pilot for Kappes in the B&VI 1–3 classification. In the 1 km time trial they set a new world record time of one minute 2.864 seconds to win the gold medal. Storey and Kappes won their second gold medal of the Games in the B&VI 1–3 sprint. The pair defeated Argentina and Japan en route to the final which they won 2–0 against Australia. The medal came less than an hour after Barney's wife Sarah had won Paralympic gold in the same velodrome competing in the women's individual pursuit.
At the UCI Para-cycling Track World Championships in Manchester in 2009 Storey teamed up with former Paralympic sprinter Neil Fachie. Together they broke the 1 km time trial world record for the B&VI 1 classification which had been set by Storey in partnership with Kappes.
- Great Britain at the 2004 Summer Paralympics
- Great Britain at the 2008 Summer Paralympics
- 2012 Olympics gold post boxes in the United Kingdom
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barney Storey.|
- "Barney Storey MBE". British Cycling. Archived from the original on 19 April 2014. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- Barney Storey. diabetes.org.uk
- Results for barney storey from the International Paralympic Committee
- "Record duo sprint to tandem triumph". Bournemouth Echo. 7 July 2006. Retrieved 10 May 2010.[permanent dead link]
- Moreton, Cole (1 September 2012). "Paralympics 2012: Golden couple powered by love". The Daily Telegraph. London.
- "Duo take GB's fourth cycling gold". BBC Sport. 8 September 2008. Retrieved 10 May 2010.
- "Storeys add to GB cycling golds". BBC Sport. 10 September 2008. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- Neil Wilson (11 September 2008). "What a Storey: Husband and wife claim historic golds on same day in velodrome". The Daily Mail. London. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "No. 58929". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2008. p. 22.
- "Hoy knighted in New Year honours". BBC Sport. 31 December 2008. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "Neil Fachie breaks world record on para-cycling debut". The Guardian. London. 6 November 2009. Retrieved 11 May 2010.