Simmons in 2013
24 November 1948 |
Barry Simmons (born 24 November 1948) is a Scottish-born quiz show contestant and was the winner of the BBC Two show Are You an Egghead? and as a result became the sixth Egghead, joining Kevin Ashman, CJ de Mooi, Daphne Fowler, Christopher Hughes and Judith Keppel on the regular show on 2 December 2008.
Simmons was born in Edinburgh and lives in Leeds, West Yorkshire. He won £64,000 on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, was a semi-finalist on Mastermind and has represented England at quizzing. He reached the final of the 2008/09 series of the radio programme Brain of Britain, but was defeated by Geoff Thomas. He has been a researcher at text question and answer service AQA 63336 since 2006. Simmons was part of an AQA team that appeared on Eggheads; he won his own round but the team was defeated in the final round. He also appeared on Only Connect in 2013.
In 2012 he again reached the final of the Brain of Britain and won the competition. Before the final, some controversy was caused as he was thought of as "a professional quizzer". As reported by the BBC website, "There is no rule banning Eggheads from appearing on Brain of Britain – the only rule is that former champions are not allowed to return." 
In 2013 he was ranked number three quizzer in the world.
Simmons is Jewish and is a member of the Beth Hamidrash Hagadol Synagogue.
- Krieger, Candice (8 January 2009). "Barry Simmons goes from technology head to Egghead". The Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- Pendreigh, Brian (2 April 2013). "World's best quizzers swot up for city event". The Herald. Edinburgh. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "The answer to everything, from AQA 63336 via Leeds". Global AQA Pty Ltd. 27 March 2007. Archived from the original on 15 April 2014. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "BBC defends Egghead Brain of Britain competitor". BBC News. 10 March 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Krieger, Candice (8 January 2009). "Barry Simmons goes from technology head to Egghead". Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Brand new Egghead joins champion quiz team on BBC Two, BBC Press Release, 2 December 2008