|Etymology||Named for Henry Wolsey Bayfield|
|Municipalities||West Perth, Huron East, Central Huron, Bluewater|
|Source confluence||Cooke Drain and Liffey Ditch|
|- location||Dublin, West Perth, Perth County|
|- elevation||326 m (1,070 ft)|
|Bayfield, Bluewater, Huron County|
|176 m (577 ft)|
|Basin size||501 km2 (193 sq mi)|
|River system||Great Lakes Basin|
|- left||Bannockburn River|
|- right||Middletons Creek, Silver Creek|
The river and community are named after Henry Wolsey Bayfield who surveyed the area in the early 19th century.
The river begins just south of the community of Dublin in West Perth, Perth County at the confluence of the Cooke Drain and the Liffey Ditch. The river flows immediately west under Perth County Road 180 and takes in the left tributary McGrath Drain. It continues west northwest taking the left tributary Tyndall Drain and then the right tributary Silver Creek at the community of Egmondville, today part of the community of Seaforth in the municipality of Huron East, Huron County. It continues west northwest and takes in the left tributary Broadfoot Drain, and right tributaries Carnochan Drain and Helgrammite Creek before passing under Ontario Highway 4 between the community Clinton in Central Huron to the north and the community of Vanastra in Huron East, to the south. The river then turns southwest and takes in the right tributary Tricks Creek, heads south and takes in the left tributaries Wiltse Creek and Bannockburn River, and then turns sharply west just north of the community of Varna in Bluewater. It takes in the right tributaries Middletons Creek and Brandt Creek before passing under Ontario Highway 21 and reaching its mouth at Lake Huron in Bayfield.
- Brandt Creek (right)
- Middletons Creek (right)
- Bannockburn River (left)
- Wiltse Creek (left)
- Tricks Creek (right)
- Helgrammite Creek (right)
- Carnochan Drain (right)
- Broadfoot Drain (left)
- Silver Creek (right)
- Tyndall Drain (left)
- McGrath Drain (left)
- Cooke Drain and Liffey Ditch (confluence)
- "Bayfield Headwaters - Watershed Report Card" (PDF). Ausable Bayfield Conservation Authority. 2007. Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- "Main Bayfield - Watershed Report Card" (PDF). Ausable Bayfield Conservation Authority. 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- "Bayfield River". Geographical Names Data Base. Natural Resources Canada. Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- "Toporama - Topographic Map Sheets 40P6, 40P11, 40P12". Atlas of Canada. Natural Resources Canada. Archived from the original on 2010-08-31. Retrieved 2010-07-01.
|This Southwestern Ontario geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a river in Ontario, Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|