Bayview, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
|Population||3,620 (2016 census)|
|Elevation||104 m (341 ft)|
|Location||31 km (19 mi) north of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||Northern Beaches Council|
Bayview is a suburb in Sydney's Northern Beaches region, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 31 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of Northern Beaches Council.
Bayview is a hilly suburb, bounded by Pittwater to the north; Mona Vale to the east and south; and Church Point, Kuringai Chase and Ingleside to the west.
Bayview takes its name from a description of its location, providing a "view" across "Pittwater". Governor Arthur Phillip took a short journey of exploration from Manly to this area in March 1788 and named it Pitt Water after William Pitt the Younger, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom at the time. Captain John Hunter prepared a map showing the bays and inlets in 1792.
One of the first settlers was Patrick Bryan, who built a house in 1821 on the current site of the Bayview Golf Links.
A number of tetrahedron tank traps can be found off Pittwater Road on the water side in Bayview. These tank traps are a little-known remnant of WWII defence along Sydney's Northern Beaches.
According to the 2016 census, there were 3,620 residents in Bayview. 67.5% of residents were born in Australia, with the most common other country of birth being England (11.2%). 87.0% of residents spoke only English at home. The most common responses for religious affiliation were No Religion 31.2%, Anglican 24.2% and Catholic 20.2%.
Of the occupied private dwellings in Bayview. 58.5% were separate houses, 28.6% were semi-detached and 12.7% were flats or apartments.
- St Luke's Grammar School (formerly Loquat Valley Anglican Preparatory School) – Anglican Co-educational day school for children from Pre-Kindergarten to Year 6
Commercial and marinas
Bayview is primarily a residential area with limited commercial space.
Bayview is home to Australia's largest yacht importer, and largest yacht share fleet and Pittwater's largest yacht charter fleet.
There are currently two privately owned floating marinas (Gibson Marina and Bayview Anchorage Marina) with attached yacht selling/renting companies and NSW Maritime offices. On the marinas there are a few kiosks and restaurants.
Between the marinas is Bayview Yacht Racing Association (BYRA), used commonly by local school students for their popular learn-to-sail programs.
Bayview is a pet friendly neighbourhood and is home to a number of parks among the most loved in the Northern Beaches:
- Bayview Baths (which features a Swimming Enclosure)
- Bayview Park
- Bimbimbie Place Reserve
- Ilya Avenue Reserve
- Kamilaroi Park
- Kennedy Park
- Minkara Reserve
- Pindari Park
- Riddle Reserve
- Rowland Reserve
The most well-known being Roland Reserve, an open field dog park.
The importance of parks within the Bayview is the preservation of Spotted Gum Forests considered to be of nature conservation significance at State level and provides habitat for the threatened Glossy Black-cockatoo as well as provides habitat for birds, frogs, mammals, reptiles and acts as a stepping stone between larger areas of habitat due to its diversity.
Bayview boasts the following boat launching:
- Rowland Reserve two concrete ramps 14.4m x 20m.
- Bayview Park one concrete ramp 10.8m x 4m.
- Riddle Reserve one concrete ramp 3m x 10m near dinghy storage and one concrete ramp 3m x 11m beside BYRA Yacht Club.
- Maybanke Cove one concrete ramp 3m x 10m near dinghy storage.
Bayview is home to the Bayview Golf Course, an 18-hole course with a clubhouse in Mona Vale.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Bayview (NSW) (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 15 September 2018. Material was copied from this source, which is available under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollon, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8, page 22
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 22 May 2017. Retrieved 11 May 2017.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Gibson Marina". www.gibsonmarina.com.
- "Bayview Anchorage Marina". bayviewanchorage.com.au.
- "Bayview Yacht Racing Association". www.byra.org.au.
- "Bayview Golf Club". bayviewgolfclub.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bayview, New South Wales.|