Beacon of Light
|Beacon of Light|
|Type||Sports & Education Centre|
|Location||Stadiun Park, Sunderland|
|Construction started||5 October 2016|
|Opened||14 September 2018|
|Cost||£19 million GBP|
|Owner||Foundation of Light|
|Roof||26 metres (85 ft)|
|Floor area||11,140 m2 (119,900 sq ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Structural engineer||s h e d|
|Main contractor||Tolent Construction|
The Beacon of Light is a sports, community and education facility, located in Sunderland, Tyne & Wear. The £19m facility was commissioned by the Foundation of Light, and became the headquarters of the charity when it opened in September 2018. The beacon is located in Stadium Park, alongside the Sunderland Aquatic Centre and the North Stand of the Stadium of Light.
The Foundation of Light opened an education facility, The Centre of Light, within the Stadium of Light in 2004. The classrooms were a huge success, so much so that the Foundation outgrew them. This prompted Foundation chief executive Lesley Spuhler to look to commission a bigger venue.
The Beacon was given approval to begin construction in October 2015, and received financial support from the Tom Cowie Foundation, and Foundation of Light trustees Peter Vardy and Bob Murray. Further investors included the North East Local Enterprise Partnership, Arriva, and Tombola.
The Beacon was designed to provide both indoor and outdoor sporting facilities and spaces for both adult and school-level education. It can also support events and exhibitions, with a 2,084 Square metre exhibition space supporting a maximum capacity of 3,425. It is expected to serve up to 300,000 people per year. 
The Beacon is designed in a cube shape with a luminous roof which lights up at night.
- "Take a glimpse at the Beacon of Light". Sunderland Association Football Club. 2018-03-23. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News". www.pressreader.com. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- Ford, Coreena (2015-05-17). "Business Interview: Lesley Spuhler, chief executive of the Foundation of Light". journallive. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Beacon of Light will get Seven Figures Sum from Famous Families". Sunderland Echo.
- "North East LEP backs Beacon to create jobs". Foundation of Light. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "£500,000 Arriva investment is just the ticket for Beacon of Light". Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Top of the shop - Beacon of Light lands £500,000 tombola donation". Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- Sunderland City Council. "Beacon of Light - Design and Access Statement" (PDF).
- "Pride as Beacon is Handed Over". Sunderland Echo.
- "Opening date announced for Beacon of Light pitches + win a month of games worth £180". Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- Thompson, Craig (2016-06-01). "Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver brings food revolution to Sunderland". nechronicle. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Beacon of Light School - GOV.UK". get-information-schools.service.gov.uk. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- "Top of the shop - Beacon of Light lands £500,000 tombola donation". Sunderland Echo. Jonston Press.