Beaufort High School
|Beaufort High School|
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Beaufort County|
|Superintendent||Herbert M. Berg (interim)|
|Campus size||40 acres (16 ha)|
|Color(s)||Green and white|
|Feeder schools||Beaufort Middle |
Lady's Island Middle
Lady's Island Elementary
Port Royal Elementary
St. Helena Elementary
Bolden Middle School
Beaufort High School is a public high school within the Beaufort County School District, located in Beaufort, South Carolina, United States, on Lady's Island. It school serves students in downtown areas of Beaufort and Port Royal in addition to students living on Lady's Island and St. Helena Island. The school enrolled 1,328 students in the 2013-2014 school year,  down from a reported 1,462 students in 2011-2012.A
According to data released by the South Carolina Department of Education, Beaufort High School earned a "B" letter grade for the 2012-2013 school year, exceeding academic expectations put forth by the state in standardized testing and graduation accomplishment. The school previously earned a "C" for the 2011-2012 school year.
Beaufort High School received "excellent" scores on the Absolute Rating and Growth Rating metrics on its 2012 state report card. In 2012, 94.3% of students passed the state-mandated High School Assessment Program (HSAP). The four-year graduation rate was 75.6% in 2012, an increase from 71.1% in 2011. The teacher retention rate was 86.0%. Based on 2011 financial data, the dollars spent per student was $7,060.
In 2012, the average student-teacher ratio in core subjects was 26.7 students for every 1 teacher. In total, 25.2% of students were enrolled in Advanced Placement courses and 56.3% of students were enrolled in career/technology courses.
The school has seen tangible academic improvements in recent years due in part to a variety of initiatives. In 2010, the "small schools" concept was adopted by Beaufort High School, in which learning academies were created to help foster students into their career paths. The school is split into four academies: Freshman Academy, International Studies, Arts, Communications, and Technologies, and Health Professions. In 2011, the "Everyday Math" and "Everyday English" programs were set in place for incoming freshmen students who scored in the lower third of their middle school competency exams.
Beaufort High competes at the Class AAAA level in the South Carolina High School League. The school fields teams for boys in baseball, football, wrestling, basketball, swimming, cross country, track & field, tennis, and golf; and for girls in cheerleading, volleyball, basketball, swimming, cross country, track & field, tennis, softball and golf.
Beaufort's rival is cross-town Battery Creek High School, but due to the relegation of Battery Creek to Class AAA (as a result of declining enrollment and the opening of Whale Branch High School), the schools do not play each other at the same frequency as before. With Bluffton High School having moved to Class AAAA, it is anticipated that the proximity of the schools will help foster a future rivalry.
- Candice Glover, singer, American Idol season 12 winner
- Boyce Green, NFL running back, Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs
- Scott Mullen, Major League Baseball player
- Ron Parker, NFL player
- Devin Taylor, linebacker for the Detroit Lions
- Asher Wojciechowski, professional baseball player
- "Beaufort High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- http://bhs.beaufort.k12.sc.us/files/_0UHd7_/efff2de3a21eaf383745a49013852ec4/2014_BHS_Annual_Report_to_Parents.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Oberle, Laura (September 12, 2013). ""American Idol" Candice Glover helps raise $16,000 for Beaufort County cancer center". The State. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Fastenau, Stephen (June 2, 2011). "Former Ospreys coach Mullen to take over at Beaufort High". The Island Packet. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- "Former Beaufort High star Parker released by Seattle Seahawks". The Island Packet. December 29, 2012. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- Carson, Moore (June 27, 2013). "Devin Taylor: From USC to the Detroit Lions, this local football star honors his Lowcountry roots". The Island News. Archived from the original on April 23, 2014. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Zach, Van Hart (December 8, 2006). "Beaufort High pitcher Wojciechowski gets chance next season at The Citadel". Beaufort Gazette. The Island Packet. Archived from the original on April 24, 2014. Retrieved April 23, 2014.