Beautiful Gong Shim
|Beautiful Gong Shim|
|Also known as||Pretty Ugly, Remember|
Dear Fair Lady Kong Shim
|Written by||Lee Hee-myung|
|Directed by||Baek Soo-chan|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Executive producer(s)||Park Young-soo|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||The Story Works|
a SBS company
|Original release||May 14 –|
July 17, 2016
|Beautiful Gong Shim at The Story Works|
Beautiful Gong Shim (Korean: 미녀 공심이; RR: Minyeo Gongsimi; MR: Minyŏ Kongsimi) is a South Korean television series, starring Namkoong Min, Bang Minah, On Joo-wan and Seo Hyo-rim. It replaced Mrs. Cop 2 and aired on SBS on Saturdays and Sundays at 22:00 (KST) for 20 episodes from May 14, 2016 to July 17, 2016.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Cast
- 3 Ratings
- 4 Original soundtrack
- 5 International broadcast
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Gong Shim (Bang Minah) always feels over-shadowed by her older sister Gong Mi (Seo Hyo-rim) due to the way the people around her treat the siblings. The beautiful Gong Mi, who works at a top-notch law firm, becomes the breadwinner of the family, while Gong Shim, considered to be ugly and awkward, is jobless. Gong Shim had to use all of her money to rent a room on the roof top of the rented-house her family is living in, as her previous bedroom is being used as Gong Mi's walk-in closet.
Having a plan to gather money for moving to Italy to pursue her dream of becoming an artist, Gong Shim decides to rent her rooftop room for $250 a month. This is when she meets Ahn Dan-tae (Namkoong Min), a lawyer who works voluntarily for those in need, despite his delinquent personality. After much misunderstanding, Dan-tae finally moves into the rooftop room and he becomes friendly with the son of a wealthy family, Joon-soo, through helping him out. Joon-soo's grandmother is grieving over the loss of her real blood-related grandson, Joon-pyo, who was kidnapped as a child.
Dan-tae quickly endears himself to Joon-soo's grandmother, who entrusts him with the task of finding Joon-pyo. In the meantime, Gong Shim is selected to be the personal secretary of Joon-soo's father, because she is considered ugly and his wife thinks it is better to have an unqualified but not pretty secretary. Gong Shim gradually starts settling in at her company, with the help of Joon-soo, for whom she falls. Dan-tae, however, is becoming jealous of her affection towards their mutual friend. It also starts to be clear that Dan-tae might be the long lost Joon-pyo, although he does not remember his painful past of being kidnapped and witnessing his mother's death. Gong Mi becomes her sister's rival when she accidentally meets Joon-soo and decides to get closer to him, because he is rich.
- Namkoong Min as Ahn Dan-tae / Seok Joon-pyo
- Jo Yeon-ho as young Dan-tae
A 32-year-old man, Ahn Dan-tae rents the rooftop room from Gong Shim. Despite his delinquent traits, he's actually a lawyer who owns a small independent firm. He works part-time as a designated driver at night for extra income. His will to become a lawyer appeared as a form of guilt, as his mother died during his unfair imprisonment for beating up a bully, who then used his connections to press charges. He shows increasing curiosity towards Gong Shim, and later develops feelings towards her. His past, however, still remains mysterious.
A 24-year-old girl, Gong Shim is always under pressure for "being ugly" her whole life. She tries her best to get a job as she wants to get away from the family that treats her unequally to her sister. Her life starts to spice up as she meets Dan-tae and Joon-soo; getting herself into a love-triangle.
- On Joo-wan as Seok Joon-soo
A 28-year-old man, Seok Joon-soo is the temporary heir of Star Group whose father was born to his grandfathers mistress. Despite his good manner and personality, his grandmother still despises him because her beloved daughter died and her grandson was kidnapped at his birthday party when he turned one . His friendship with Dan-tae begins after Dan-tae saves him from a group of thugs and this friendship also leads him to meet Gong Shim.
- Seo Hyo-rim as Gong Mi
A 28-year-old girl, Gong Mi is a typical, self-aware beauty and a lawyer at a respected firm. Being used to getting spoiled, she always finds her ways to get what she wants; even if it means sacrificing her own younger sister. She decides to become Joon-soo's wife, and does everything to catch the rich man's attention.
Gong Shim's family
- Oh Hyun-kyung as Joo Jae-boon
A 50-year-old woman, she is Gong sisters's mother and a former Miss Gangneung.
- Woo Hyeon as Gong Hyuk
A 52-year-old man, he is Gong sisters's father, and he has graduated from Ivy League law school.
Star Distribution Group characters
- Jung Hye-sun as Nam Soon-cheon
A 78-year-old woman, she is Star Distribution Group's chairman, Seok Dae-hwang's mother, Joon-pyo and Joon-soo's grandmother
- Kyeon Mi-ri as Yeom Tae-hee
A 53-year-old woman, she is Seok Joon-soo's mother, Seok Dae-hwang's wife and a former singer.
- Kim Il-woo as Seok Dae-hwang
A 55-year-old man, he is Star Distribution Group's CEO, Joon-soo's father and chairman Seok Joo-cheol's child out of marriage
- Kim Byeong-ok as Yeom Tae-cheol
A 56-year-old man, he is Star Distribution Group's managing director, Yeom Tae-hee's older brother and Seok Joon-soo's outside uncle
- Sunwoo Yong-nyeo as Seok Dae-hwang's birth mother
People around Ahn Dan-tae
- Bang Eun-hee as Cheon Ji-yeon – Dan-tae's aunt
- Choi Hong-il as Ahn Soo-young – Dan-tae's father
- Shin Soo-ho as Shin Goo-nam – Gong Shim's best friend
- Kim Byung-se as the law firm representative, lawyer
- Kim Dong-gyun as petrol station's owner
- Kim Gi-cheon as police
- Kwon Tae-won as medical staff
- Joo Seok-tae as secretary
- Go Mi-young as lawyer Choi
- Ahn Soo-bin
- Yang Seung-geol
- Han Ga-rim as Gong Shim's schoolmate
- Lee Chang
- Kim Ho-chang
- Park No-sik
- Jo Hee-bong as salon's CEO
- Jin Hyun-kwang as son of studio's owner
- Geum Bo as Ho-joong
- Seo Jin-wook as doctor
- Lee Hye-sook as lawyer's wife
In the table below, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings.
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen Ratings|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||May 14, 2016||7.6%||9.4%||8.9%||10.4%|
|2||May 15, 2016||7.3%||8.9%||9.6%||10.9%|
|3||May 21, 2016||8.2%||9.2%||10.7%||12.0%|
|4||May 22, 2016||9.0%||10.6%||10.4%||12.4%|
|5||May 28, 2016||10.4%||12.0%||11.1%||12.8%|
|6||May 29, 2016||10.5%||12.0%||11.2%||12.8%|
|7||June 4, 2016||9.3%||11.7%||10.9%||13.7%|
|8||June 5, 2016||12.0%||14.7%||13.6%||15.8%|
|9||June 11, 2016||9.3%||11.2%||12.1%||13.8%|
|10||June 12, 2016||9.7%||11.6%||13.2%||14.8%|
|11||June 18, 2016||11.2%||14.3%||13.1%||15.2%|
|12||June 19, 2016||10.1%||12.6%||13.1%||14.7%|
|13||June 25, 2016||9.7%||12.2%||12.3%||14.2%|
|14||June 26, 2016||10.9%||12.9%||14.2%||17.2%|
|15||July 2, 2016||11.7%||13.5%||13.5%||14.7%|
|16||July 3, 2016||11.4%||14.0%||13.0%||14.4%|
|17||July 9, 2016||11.1%||12.8%||12.9%||14.9%|
|18||July 10, 2016||11.7%||14.2%||13.1%||15.0%|
|19||July 16, 2016||11.3%||13.1%||14.8%||16.4%|
|20||July 17, 2016||12.8%||15.6%||15.1%||16.3%|
|1.||"Struggling To You (힘들어하는 너에게)"||Woo Ye-rin||3:44|
|2.||"Struggling To You (힘들어하는 너에게)" (Inst.)||3:44|
|1.||"My First Kiss"||Minah (Girl's Day)||3:16|
|2.||"My First Kiss" (Inst.)||3:16|
|1.||"My Face Is Burning (화끈화끈해)"||Choi Sang Yup||3:06|
|2.||"My Face Is Burning (화끈화끈해)" (Inst.)||3:06|
|1.||"Love Cells (연애세포)"||Jang Woo-ram||3:14|
|2.||"Love Cells (연애세포)" (Inst.)||3:14|
|2.||"Found (찾았다)" (Inst.)||2:33|
|1.||"You Look Pretty (예뻐보여)"||DinDin & Juniel||3:19|
|2.||"You Look Pretty (예뻐보여)" (Inst.)||3:19|
|1.||"Waiting For You (기다린다)"||Nell||3:15|
|2.||"Waiting For You (기다린다)" (Inst.)||3:15|
|2.||"Again (자꾸만)" (Inst.)||3:46|
|1.||"If It's You (그대라면)"||Yeoeun (Melody Day)||3:25|
|2.||"If It's You (그대라면)" (Inst.)||3:25|
Awards and nominations
|2016||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Namkoong Min||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Romantic-Comedy Drama||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Romantic-Comedy Drama||Bang Min-ah||Won|
|Special Award, Actor in a Romantic-Comedy Drama||On Joo-wan||Won|
|Special Award, Actress in a Romantic-Comedy Drama||Seo Hyo-rim||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award||Namkoong Min and Bang Min-ah||Nominated|
|Top 10 Stars Award||Namkoong Min||Won|
|New Star Award||Bang Min-ah||Won|
|Idol Academy Award – Best Eating||Namkoong Min||Nominated|
|2017||53rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress||Bang Min-ah||Nominated|
- Yoo Ji-hye (March 24, 2016). "남궁민 측 "'야수의 미녀' 출연 확정"…첫 지상파 주연". Maeil Broadcasting Network (in Korean). Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Pyo Jae-min (April 12, 2016). "민아, '야수의 미녀' 여주인공 확정..혜리 인기 잇나 [공식입장]". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Yoon Soo-jeong (April 12, 2016). "서효림, '야수의 미녀' 주연 캐스팅 '이 시대의 완벽녀 변신'". Star Daily News (in Korean). Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Jeon Hyo-jin (April 25, 2016). "남궁민·민아 '미녀 공심이' 알콩달콩 대본 리딩". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- "함께 만드는 기쁨 SBS". SBS (in Korean). Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Park So-jung (May 16, 2016). "'Beautiful Gong Shim' off to moderate start; 'New Journey to the West 2' hits milestone". Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Choi Soo-hyun (July 23, 2016). "Min-ah Ends Starring TV Role on a High". The Chosun Ilbo. Archived from the original on July 23, 2016. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- "TNmS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNmS Ratings (in Korean). Archived from the original on November 28, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2017-03-17. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-06-16. Retrieved 2016-05-27.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)