Belmont Secondary School
|The former Belmont Secondary School on Jacklin Road|
|3041 Langford Lake Road
British Columbia, V9B 0L9
|School type||Public Secondary|
|School board||Sooke School District 62|
|Enrollment||1200 (capacity) (2015)|
Belmont Secondary School is located in Langford, a western suburb of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. It is one of four secondary schools in School District 62 Sooke. It serves the suburban West Shore area of Colwood, Highlands, Langford, and Metchosin.
The first secondary school in the area was established on the school's former Jacklin Road site soon after the Second World War in re-located Army buildings. Several years later, two schools were constructed in permanent buildings: Elizabeth Fisher Junior High School and Belmont High School. These were merged in 1973 into Belmont-Fisher Secondary School, and a new library was constructed to connect the adjacent buildings. After two years under this name, it was shortened to the current Belmont Secondary School.
In December 2012, it was announced that Belmont was to be replaced with two new grade 9-12 schools: a 1,200-student replacement Belmont Secondary in the Glen Lake area of Langford, and a new 800-student Royal Bay Secondary School to be built in Colwood. The new facilities were intended to support a wide range of programs, including expanded students' skills and trades training. Additional programs such as culinary arts and automotive technician are being considered and links to the shipbuilding industry with possible metal fabrication and marine trades training programs are being explored. Both new schools will have Neighbourhood Learning Centres to provide community services.
In June 2013, construction commenced on the $53.9-million Belmont replacement school on the site of the former Glen Lake Elementary School. Even before its replacement had been completed, the sale of the former site to food retailer Sobeys was announced on April 3, 2014. The new Belmont Secondary School opened to students for the first time on September 8, 2015.
In addition to a challenging academic program ( including several pre-AP and AP classes), Belmont Secondary offers students the opportunity to participate Academy programs.
- Dance Academy
- Hockey Academy
- Soccer Academy
- Secondary School Apprenticeship
- Camosun College Partnership Programs
- Accelerated Credit Enrollment in Industry Training (ACE IT):
- ACE IT/Dual Credit Carpentry Program
- ACE IT Cosmetology Program
- ACE IT/Dual Credit Automotive Service Technician
- ACE IT/Dual Credit Joinery/Cabinetmaking Program
Belmont Senior Secondary offers the following music programs and courses:
Concert Band, Concert Choir, Vocal Jazz, Jazz Band, R & B Band, Marching Band, Beginning and Advanced Guitar, Music Composition and Technology, AP Music Theory, Piano (introduction).
The school offers the following athletic and sports programs:
- Cross Country
- Weight Room
- Dodge Ball
- Track and Field
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (September 2011)|
- Tyson Barrie - NHL Player, Colorado Avalanche
- Adam Cracknell NHL Player, Vancouver Canucks
- Greg Zannon - NHL Player, Colorado Avalanche
- Jennifer Tilly - actress
- Paul Hyde - musician and record producer (noted as a founding member of the bands The Payola$ and Rock and Hyde).
- Brandon Rosario - garnered international media attention after a video of his controversial valedictory speech was posted on YouTube
- Bob Rock - musician, sound engineer, and record producer (noted as a founding member of the bands The Payola$ and Rock and Hyde).
- Mike Rowe - noted for establishing www.MikeRoweSoft.com and the ensuing lawsuit with software giant Microsoft.
- Cory Monteith - actor (Glee)
- Ryder Hesjedal- UCI World Tour professional cyclist for Trek-Segafredo, winner of the 2012 Giro d'Italia, 6th overall in the 2010 Tour de France
- School District website
- History of Belmont Athletics
- BC Ministry of Education news release, Dec. 18, 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-05
- BC Ministry of Education news release, June 27, 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-07
- New Schools - SD62, October 9, 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-07
- Goldstream News Gazette, 2011-10-31, retrieved online 2012-02-18
- Times Colonist, April 3, 2014
- Times Colonist, September 9, 2013
- Belmont Student Seeks Laughs But Finds Trouble With Speech