Ben Ehrenreich (born 1972) is an American freelance journalist and novelist who lives in Los Angeles.
Ehrenreich began working as a journalist in the alternative press in the late 1990s, publishing extensively in LA Weekly and the Village Voice. His journalism, essays and criticism have since appeared in Harper's, The New York Times Magazine, The Nation, the Los Angeles Times, The Believer, and the London Review of Books. He has reported from Afghanistan, Haiti, Cambodia, El Salvador, Mexico and all over the United States. In 2011, he was awarded a National Magazine Award in feature writing for an article published in Los Angeles magazine.
His first novel,The Suitors,. was published by Counterpoint Press in 2006. Reviewing it, the American Library Association named him "a writer to watch" while Publishers Weekly called him "an original talent." Writing in BOMB, the novelist Frederic Tuten called The Suitors “truly a ravishing book.” Ehrenreich’s short fiction has appeared in McSweeney's, BOMB, Black Clock and many other publications.
Ehrenreich also teaches in the graduate writing program at Otis College of Art and Design.
In 2016, he released another book, The Way to the Spring: Life and Death in Palestine, describing life in the Palestinian village of Nabi Salih and the villagers' struggle against the encroaching Israeli settlement of Halamish. The book was praised by The Economist with the conclusion that "It should be read by friends and foes of Israel alike."
- Ehrenreich, Ben (2006). The Suitors. Counterpoint Press. ISBN 1582433356.
- Ehrenreich, Ben (2011). Ether. City Lights Books. ISBN 087286524X.
- Ehrenreich, Ben (2016). The Way to the Spring: Life and Death in Palestine. Penguin. ISBN 0698148193.
- The New York Times Sunday Book Review
- "Palestine: The view on the ground". The Economist. 11 June 2016. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- Los Angeles Times Book Review, November 6, 2011
- Everything You See Is Real, short story in BOMB, Spring 2009
- The Long Goodbye, article about the poet Frank Stanford, January 2008.
- The End, article in Los Angeles magazine, December 2010.
- In the Heart of the Homeland, article about border militarization in Arizona in Slake, issue two.
- Los Angeles Times Op-Ed, "Zionism is the Problem", March 15, 2009.
- Death on Terminal Island, article in Los Angeles magazine, September 2008.
- New York Times Book Review, May 14, 2006
- Truth (ii), short story in SmokeLong Quarterly, December 15, 2007
- Interview in SmokeLong Quarterly, December 15, 2007
- Jar of Marbles short story in Significant Objects, November 2, 2009.
- benehrenreich.net official website