|Born||7 September 1927
|Died||9 January 1999
Benjamin Saltman (September 7, 1927 – January 9, 1999) was an American poet and Professor of verse writing and contemporary American literature at California State University, Northridge. The Benjamin Saltman Poetry Award is given annually by Red Hen Press in his honor.
Saltman was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the youngest son of Russian-Jewish immigrants. He earned his B.A. from the University of Pittsburgh in 1952 and his M.A. in Creative Writing from San Francisco State University in 1959. In 1967 He received his Ph.D. from Claremont Graduate School where he wrote his doctoral thesis "The Descent to God: Religious Language in Several Contemporary American Poets". He was married to Helen Saltman, and had three children. Miriam, Lara, and Marjorie Saltman. His kids then went on to have his grandchildren: Noa and Oren Figenblat, Lia and Sivan Gabai, and Ben and Remy Kfir.
Benjamin Saltman was the recipient of two NEA Literature Fellowships in 1969 and 1987. He was noted as providing editorial assistance for the Swami Prabhavananda in the "The Sermon on the Mount according to Vedanta". In 1992, after retiring, he volunteered to teach at CSUN for free after state budget cuts caused the school to cancel 1,000 courses previously scheduled for the fall semester.
- Blue with Blue (1968)
- The Leaves, The People (1974)
- Elegies of Place (1976)
- Deck (1979)
- Five Poems (1989)
- The Book of Moss (1992)
- The Sun Takes Us Away (1996)
- Sleep and Death, the Dream (1999)
References and notes
- Red Hen Press Author Bio redhen.org. Retrieved on 2009-07-13
- CSUN List of Deceased Faculty csun.edu. Retrieved on 2010-07-15
- Benjamin Saltman Poetry Award Archived August 30, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. pw.org. Retrieved on 2009-07-13
- The Libraries of The Claremont Colleges, 2005 Claremont University Consortium
- NEA Literature Fellowships Archived 2009-11-19 at WebCite, Page 43. Retrieved on 2009-07-13
- Swami Prabhavananda, The Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta (Allen & Unwin, 1964), Page 6.
- "Sorry, You Can't Teach for Free", Los Angeles Times, 21 Aug 1992
- "Professors' Volunteer Offer Rejected", Los Angeles Times, 22 Aug 1992
- "New Law Allows Retiring CSUN Professors to Teach for Free", Los Angeles Times, 10 September 1992
- Benjamin Saltman (official website)
- Deck by Benjamin Saltman
- The Poetry of Benjamin Saltman, Reviewed by M.A. Roberts (Oyster Boy Review)
- The Book of Moss, In Brief Poetry Review by Susan Salter Reynolds, Los Angeles Times, 30 August 1992
- "At 59, By Benjamin Saltman", Los Angeles Times, 02 August 1992