Bent Out of Shape
|Bent Out of Shape|
Cover design by Storm Thorgerson
|Studio album by|
|Released||24 August 1983|
|Recorded||Sweet Silence Studios, Copenhagen, Denmark, May - June 1983|
|Genre||Hard rock, AOR|
Mercury (North America)
|Singles from Bent Out of Shape|
|Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal||9/10|
Bent Out of Shape is the seventh studio album released by the British hard rock band Rainbow. It was originally released in August 1983 as an LP and cassette. The cassette featured several longer edits compared to the vinyl version. It was recorded at Sweet Silence Studios in Copenhagen in about 7 weeks.
The song "Street of Dreams" has been re-recorded in two versions by Blackmore's Night in 2006 for their fifth studio album, The Village Lanterne. The version featured on a regular album was sung by Candice Night. The other version, a bonus track on a special edition of the album, was performed in a duet by Night and former Rainbow singer Joe Lynn Turner.
In 1984, "Anybody There" was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rock Instrumental Performance.
A remastered CD reissue was released in May 1999, which restored the artwork of the original release. This has two tracks of a longer duration than on the first US CD issue.
This album is generally referred to by critics and fans as a commercial effort, with the band attempting to repeat the success of the song "Stone Cold" and the album Straight Between the Eyes. As a result, some of the songs, like the first single released from this album, "Street of Dreams", are usually considered to be more in the adult-oriented rock style, instead of the hard rock sound of earlier Rainbow albums. The album was particularly aimed at the US market: the title is an American idiom rather than a British one, although it received positive reviews in the U.K. Howard Johnson of Kerrang! magazine (No.51 – Sept 22-Oct 5, 1983) praised the album as "possibly Rainbow's most complete work to date" and called "Desperate Heart" and "Street of Dreams" "two of this year's finest tunes".
The music video for "Can't Let You Go", directed by Dominic Orlando, was filmed in New York City (1984) and inspired by the 1920 silent b/w film The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Along with "Street of Dreams", directed by Storm Thorgerson, it became a part of Rainbow's home video collection The Final Cut (1985). The music video for "Street of Dreams" was banned by MTV for its supposedly controversial hypnotic clip.
|2.||"Can't Let You Go"||Blackmore, Turner, Intro - David Rosenthal||4:19|
|3.||"Fool for the Night"||4:03|
|4.||"Fire Dance"||Blackmore, Turner, Roger Glover, Rosenthal||4:27|
|5.||"Anybody There" (instrumental)||Blackmore||2:37|
|7.||"Street of Dreams"||4:24|
|8.||"Drinking with the Devil"||3:41|
|9.||"Snowman" (instrumental)||Howard Blake, arr. by Blackmore||4:30|
|10.||"Make Your Move"||3:55|
The LP has "Desperate Heart" at 4:00, whilst cassette and remastered CD have this track at 4:36, repeating the verse after the guitar solo. Similarly, "Make Your Move" is 3:56 on the LP, yet 5:25 on cassette and remastered CD, on account of a reprise of a bridge section and a much longer playout. The first US CD edition (Polydor - 815 305-2) uses the LP version.
- Ritchie Blackmore - guitar
- Roger Glover - bass, percussion, producer
- Joe Lynn Turner - vocals
- David Rosenthal - keyboard
- Chuck Burgi - drums
- Flemming Rasmussen - engineer
- Thomas Breckling - assistant engineer
- Nick Blagona - mixing at BearTracks Studios, New York
- Greg Calbi - mastering at Sterling Sound, New York
- 1983 - "Street of Dreams"/"Anybody There"
- 1983 - "Street of Dreams"/"Anybody There"/"Power" (live) - 12" release
- 1983 - "Can't Let You Go"/"All Night Long" (live)
- 1983 - "Can't Let You Go"/"All Night Long" (live)/"Stranded" (live) - 12" release
- 1983 - "Can't Let You Go"/"Drinking with the Devil" - Spain
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Rainbow Bent Out of Shape review". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Popoff, Martin (November 1, 2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal: Volume 2: The Eighties. Burlington, Ontario, Canada: Collector's Guide Publishing. p. 280. ISBN 978-1-894959-31-5.
- "Rainbow - Bent Out of Shape". RevelationZ.net. 8 November 2004. Archived from the original on 9 December 2008. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- "Bent Out of Shape by Rainbow : Reviews and Ratings". Rate Your Music. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Blackmore's Night - Ritchie Blackmore Bio". Ritchieblackmore.com. 8 May 1998. Archived from the original on 18 October 2010. Retrieved 13 November 2010.
- "Rainbow – Bent Out of Shape (album)". Swedishcharts.com. Media Control Charts. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "Rainbow – Bent Out of Shape (album)". Norwegiancharts.com. Media Control Charts. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "Rainbow Official Charts". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Album – Rainbow, Bent Out of Shape". Charts.de (in German). Media Control Charts. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "Bent Out of Shape Billboard Albums". Allmusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "Rainbow – Bent Out of Shape (album)". GfK Dutch Charts (in Dutch). Media Control Charts. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "RPM Weekly". RPM magazine. Retrieved March 11, 2018.
- "Bent Out of Shape Billboard Singles". Allmusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2013-12-15.