Bentleigh West Primary School
This article needs to be updated.(January 2014)
|Bentleigh West Primary School|
|School type||Primary school|
Bentleigh West Primary School is a government primary school located in the suburb of Bentleigh in the Glen Eira, about 15 km out of Melbourne, Australia. The current[when?] principal is Steven Capp, who succeeded Craig Johnson. Current enrolments[when?] sit at around 530 students from prep to grade 6. There are 33 non-teaching and teaching staff[when?].
The school was established in the 1930s. The school was originally named Bentleigh West, despite the noted lack of a suburb of that name, as it was considered more fashionable to live on the western side of Bentleigh (west of the Frankston railway line) as it is closer to Brighton East and Brighton.
Buildings and grounds
The school over the past decade has evolved greatly due to the increased funding. The original set-up of the school consisted of the Main Building, Junior Permanent Portables, Arts, Library Block and Gym + Annex (circa. 2002)
In the last five-six years, certainly during Principal Jennifer Small's era, major building works went on and finished in late 2010. The school, which is dedicated to open-plan, team teaching, has:
- a Grade 5/6 Learning Suite upstairs in the completely refurbished building
- a Grade 3/4 Learning House
- a Grade 1/2 Learning House
- a Prep Learning House
- a huge Gymnasium
- a modern and fully functional canteen
- an Amphitheatre overlooking the netball courts
In recent years, the school has won several environmental awards, noting the considerable effort that has been invested in the environment by students and staff.
For example, in 2007 the school has been recognised for its efforts in the Education Programs category of the prestigious Savewater! Awards.
It has been awarded the Australian Sustainable Schools Accreditation 5 Star Award, the Water Wise Accreditation, the Water - Learn it! Live it! accreditation, was 2005 Regional Winner of the State Gardens Award and winner of the Leader Educational Awards.
The school has also built a 'wetlands' area, made up of different native plants.
The School has also been awarded Performance and Development Culture Accreditation. The school awards students in grade 6 at their graduation ceremony awards such as; Visual arts, Sport, Performing arts, Academic, All rounder, ICT, and environmental
The Paul Jennings award is a competition that takes place every year. Grade 5 and 6 students each enter a short story containing a sentence from one of Paul Jennings' books. The award is presented to the best story and the medal is presenting on the last day of term 4.
- "Bentleigh West Primary School", Greg Thom, Herald Sun, 24 April 2007
- "Education Programs", Savewater
- "Water - Learn it! Live it! Schools" Archived 1 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine., South East Water
- "Victoria's Top School Gardens Unearthed" Archived 5 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine., Victoria Ministry of Education, December 7, 2005
- "Grant to help create a landscape", Moorabbin Glen Eira Leader, 4 May 2005
- "Schools Win Greening Grant" Archived 1 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine., Greening Australia
- "Passion rewarded", Larissa Ham, Moorabbin Glen Eira Leader, 30 November 2005
- "ASG Community Merit Awards 2005" Archived 2 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine., The NEiTA Foundation
- "Young athletes set the pace in sports awards", Caulfield Glen Eira/Port Phillip Leader, 8 May 2006
- "Author Profile - Paul Jennings" Archived 30 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine., Jubilee Books, July 2002