Bernd Krämer studied electrical engineering and computer science at the Technical University of Berlin where he also gained his doctorate in engineering. From 1975 to 1989 and again from 1990 to 1992 he was a scientist and project director at the Gesellschaft für Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung, the German National Research Center of Computer Science, which later joined the Fraunhofer Society. From 1989 to mid 1990 he was an adjunct professor in the Computer Science department of the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California. In April 1992 he was appointed full professor at FernUniversität in Hagen. He is a co-founder, past president, fellow, and member of the Board of Directors of the Society for Design & Process Science (SDPS). From 2008 to 2013 he served as a member of the first University Council of FernUniversität in Hagen. He was a guest professor at a number of renowned international universities, including the Queensland University of Technology, in Brisbane and Monash University in Melbourne, both Australia, McGill University in Montreal, the University of California, Berkeley and Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
He is a co-founder of two non-profit research associations, the Scientific Academy for Service Technology and edu-sharing.net. The latter aims to promote and evolve the open source repository system edu-sharing. Krämer co-founded the open access journal e-learning and education and was its first editor-in-chief.
In 2003 he received the C. V. Ramamoorthy Distinguished Scholar Award and in 2006 the Raymond T. Yeh Life Time Achievement Award, both from SDPS.
- Software Service and Application Engineering - Festschrift Dedicated to Bernd Krämer on the Occasion of His 65th Birthday, Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Advances in Collective Intelligence (Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing, Vol. 113) by Jörn Altmann, Ulrike Baumöl, Bernd Krämer (2012)
- On Collective Intelligence (Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing, Vol. 76) by Theo J. Bastiaens, Ulrike Baumöl, Bernd Krämer (2011) 
- Contributions to Ubiquitous Computing (Studies in Computational Intelligence, Volume 42) by Bernd Krämer, Wolfgang Halang (2007)
- Service-Oriented Computing - ICSOC 2007 (Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 4907) by Bernd Krämer, Kwei-Jay Lin, Priya Narasimhan (2007)
- Third International Symposium on Software Engineering for Parallel and Distributed Systems (IEEE Computer Society Press) by Mike P. Papazoglou, Makoto Takizawa, Bernd J. Krämer, Samuel Chanson (1998)
- Information Systems Interoperability (Research Studies Press) by Bernd J. Krämer, Mike P. Papazoglou, Heinz W. Schmidt (1998)
- Safety-Critical Real-Time Systems (Kluwer Academic Publishers) by Bernd J. Krämer, Norbert Völker (1997)
- 2nd IEEE International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems (IEEE Computer Society Press) by Rick Hohendorf, Yoshiaki Kakuda, Bernd J. Krämer, Kelvin Nilsen, Kevin Ryan (1996)
- Environmental Engineering and Pollution Prevention: European Network of Excellence and Partnership (Kluwer Academic Publishers) by Joris Wotte, Wolfgang A. Halang, Bernd J. Krämer (1996)
- A Safety Licensable Computing Architecture (World Scientific Publishing) by Wolfgang A. Halang, S. K. Jung, Bernd J. Krämer, Johan J. Scheepstra (1993)
- Concepts, Syntax and Semantics of SEGRAS. A Specification Language for Distributed Systems(Oldenbourg) by Bernd J. Krämer (1989)
Selected academic works
- 2018, Collaborative on-demand Product-Service Systems Customization Lifecycle
- 2017, Knowledge Management through Ontology-Driven Integration of Disparate Knowledge Sources, Transactions of the SDPS
- 2015, New ways of learning: Comparing the effectiveness of interactive online media in distance education with the European textbook tradition
- 2010, From content to practice: Sharing educational practice in edu-sharing
- Video abstract to a new paper in the British Journal of Educational Technology (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLF6PNmAYpY)
- Video of the opening of SDPS 2012 in Berlin (http://www.fernuni-hagen.de/videostreaming/mathinf/dvt/SDPS2012_01.shtml )
- Presentation of the IEEE Computer Pioneer Award to the son of Carl Adam Petri at the occasion of the Carl Adam Petri Memorial Symposium, Feb. 2011 (http://www.computer.org/web/awards/pioneer-carl-petri)
- University home page (http://www.fernuni-hagen.de/dvt/en)
- Personal home page (http://kraemer.edu-sharing.net/portal/)
- List of publications from the ACM Digital Library, Faceted DBLP and DBLP Bibliography Server, CSB DBLP
Notes and references
-  Professors retired from the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics of FernUniversität in Hagen
-  Press report, Farewell Symposium
- Biography and image, Austria Forum 2007
-  SDPS fellows
-  SDPS Board of Directors
-  University Council of FernUniversität in Hagen, 2008-2014
-  ServTech website
-  website of the open access journal e-learning and education
- Heisel, Maritta (ed.) (2012). Software Service and Application Engineering - Essays Dedicated to Bernd Krämer on the Occasion of His 65th Birthday. Springer. ISBN 978-3-642-30834-5.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Altmann, Jörn; Baumöl, Ulrike; Krämer, Bernd (2011). Krämer, Bernd; Baumöl, Ulrike; Altmann, Jörn (eds.). Advances in Collective Intelligence 2011. ISBN 978-3-642-25321-8.
- Bastiaens, Theo J.; Baumöl, Ulrike; Krämer, Bernd (2010). Bastiaens, Theo J.; Baumöl, Ulrike; Krämer, Bernd (eds.). On Collective Intelligence. ISBN 978-3-642-14481-3.
- Krämer, Bernd; Halang, Wolfgang A., eds. (2007). Contributions to Ubiquitous Computing. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. ISBN 978-3-540-44910-2.
- Di Nitto, Elisabetta; Ripeanu, Matei, eds. (2007). Service-Oriented Computing - ICSOC 2007 Workshops. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. ISBN 978-3-540-93851-4.
- Krämer, Bernd J.; Papazoglou, M.; Schmidt, Heinz-W (1998). Information Systems Interoperability. Research Studies Press. ISBN 9780471981244.
- Krämer, Bernd; Völker, Norbert, eds. (1997). Safety-Critical Real-Time Systems. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. ISBN 9781475764635.
- Wotte, Joris; Krämer, Bernd J., eds. (1996). Environmental Engineering and Pollution Prevention. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. ISBN 978-0-7923-4206-9.
- Halang, Wolfgang; Soon-Key, Jung; Krämer, Bernd J. (1993). A Safety Licensable Computing Architecture. World Scientific. ISBN 9810216289.
- Krämer, Bernd J. (1989). Concepts, syntax and semantics of SEGRAS: a specification language for distributed systems. R. Oldenbourg.
- Papazoglou, Michael P.; Elgammal, Amal; Krämer, Bernd J. (2018). "Collaborative on-demand Product-Service Systems Customization Lifecycle". CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology. doi:10.1016/j.cirpj.2018.08.003.
- Werrmann, Jan; Krämer, Bernd J. (2017). "Knowledge Management through Ontology-Driven Integration of Disparate Knowledge Sources". Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science. 21 (4): 25–39. doi:10.3233/jid-2017-0017.
- Krämer, Bernd J.; Magenheim, Johannes; Magenheim, Jonas; Huppertz, Helga (2015). "Comparing the effectiveness of interactive online media in distance education with the European textbook tradition". British Journal of Educational Technology. 46 (5): 965–971. doi:10.1111/bjet.12301.
- Klebl, Michael; Krämer, Bernd J.; Zobel, Annett J. (2010). "From content to practice: Sharing educational practice in edu-sharing". British Journal of Educational Technology. 41 (6): 936–951. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8535.2010.01134.x.