Better Dig Two
|"Better Dig Two"|
|Single by The Band Perry|
|from the album Pioneer|
|Released||October 29, 2012|
|The Band Perry singles chronology|
"Better Dig Two" is a song recorded by American country music group The Band Perry. It was released in October 2012 as the first single from their second album, Pioneer. The song was written by Brandy Clark, Shane McAnally and Trevor Rosen.
The song is a mid-tempo in which the female narrator tells her husband that, should he die before she does, she would rather die and be buried next to him. She also threatens that if he betrays her, she'll kill him and then kill herself: "If the ties that bind ever do come loose / If forever ever ends for you / If that ring gets a little too tight / They might as well read me my last rites / Cause I'll go to heaven or I'll go to hell / Before I'll see you with someone else." The song is in A Dorian (i.e., an A minor scale with the sixth tone raised by a half-step). Kimberly Perry's vocals range from A3 to C5. The main accompaniment is banjo, electric guitar, and percussion.
The song received positive reviews from music critics. Billy Dukes of Taste of Country gave the song three and a half stars out of five, writing that "cast in the shadow of the dark and stormy production … the gesture isn't sweet and romantic, but sort of unnerving." Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave the song four stars, saying that "in addition to featuring Kimberly Perry's dynamic vocals we have a lound/soft [sic] melodic dynamic with banjos, mandolins, fiddles and electric guitars mixed in with a rock attitude and cries of steel guitars as well." Ben Foster of Country Universe gave the song a B grade, calling it "one of the most interesting and organic-sounding new tunes with a shot at radio airplay." Writing for Urban Country News, Liv Carter gave the song a 'thumbs up,' praising the "very modern, yet very rootsy, country sound."
"Better Dig Two" debuted at number 9 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of November 17, 2012. It also debuted at number 53 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of November 17, 2012. It also debuted at number 57 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart for the week of November 17, 2012. It has sold 1,457,000 copies in the US as of June 2013.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||42|
|Canada Country (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||28|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||1|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||29|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||12|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||1,457,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Billboard Country Update for November 15, 2012" (PDF). Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. November 15, 2012. p. 5. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
- Sciarretto, Amy (October 27, 2012). "The Band Perry to Premiere New Single 'Better Dig Two' on October 29". Taste of Country. Retrieved November 14, 2012.
- Foster, Ben (November 8, 2012). "Single Review: The Band Perry, "Better Dig Two"". Country Universe. Retrieved November 14, 2012.
- "'Better Dig Two' sheet music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Dukes, Billy (October 30, 2012). "The Band Perry, 'Better Dig Two' – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved November 14, 2012.
- Bjorke, Matt (November 2, 2012). "Single Review: The Band Perry - "Better Dig Two"". Roughstock. Archived from the original on November 4, 2012. Retrieved November 14, 2012.
- Carter, Liv. "Single Review: 'Better Dig Two' – The Band Perry". Urban Country News. Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- "The Band Perry's New Video Premieres on CMT and CMT.com". Country Music Television. December 3, 2012. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- The Band Perry Perform ‘Better Dig Two’ at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Band Perry Rehearse Better Dig Two for the Billboard Music Awards! Cambio[permanent dead link]
- Morris, Edward (November 10, 2012). "Taylor Swift Still Commands Country Album and Songs Chart". Country Music Television. Retrieved November 14, 2012.
- Bjorke, Matt (2013-06-05). "June 5, 2013: Florida Georgia Line, Danielle Bradbery, Blake Shelton, Cole Swindell Lead". Roughstock. Archived from the original on September 19, 2013. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "The Band Perry Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "The Band Perry Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard.
- "The Band Perry Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "The Band Perry Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard.
- "The Band Perry Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2013: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "American single certifications – The Band Perry – Better Dig Two". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved March 21, 2015. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.