By vehicle type
Automobile mounted bike carriers can be attached to the roof, rear trunk, or rear tow hitch, depending on the vehicle.
Bikes may be mounted in the carriers by clamping both wheels and providing some additional vertical support, by clamping the rear wheel and the front dropouts (necessitating the removal of the front wheel, which may be mounted separately on blades), or by clamping the top tube (usually in the case of rear hitch mounted carriers). There is a device available that connects from the stem to the seat post, to provide a top tube equivalent suitable for mounting in these carriers for step-through frame bicycles that do not have a top tube. Carriers that clamp on the front dropouts may also provide a built-in locking mechanism. Carriers have been developed especially for the rear of pickup trucks that attach either to the bed or its sides.
- Chicago Transit Authority.
- King County Metro in King County, Washington.
- Madrid, Spain, in urban buses (line 33).
- Metro Transit (Minnesota).
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
- Portland Maine, in Maine.
- TransLink (British Columbia), Canada.
- Metro, in Christchurch, New Zealand (all routes)
- Santa Barbara Metropolitan Transit District (some routes) 
|This section requires expansion. (September 2014)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Transport of bicycles by bus.|
- Brown, Sheldon. "Sheldon Brown Glossary: Rack". Sheldon Brown. Archived from the original on 18 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "TreeHugger: GM Tries Integrated Bike Racks on Euro Models". Archived from the original on 4 January 2008. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Yakima Rack Basics". Archived from the original on 2007-12-21. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "CATA Bike Racks". Archived from the original on 2007-11-30. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "TCAT Bikes on Buses: Rack&Ride". Archived from the original on 16 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Victoria Regional Transit System: Bike & Ride". Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "BICYCLE RACKS FOR MOTORCYCLES". Retrieved 2008-02-12.
- Bike & Ride: On the bus
- Bus Bike Racks…Party of Three Please
- Bicycle racks on buses and trains.
- Bike-n-Ride by bus
- Using the Bike Rack on a Public Bus
- Bikes on Buses
- "Bikes on buses - Metro". Environment Canterbury. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- "Bringing your bike". SBMTD. SBMTD. Retrieved 17 May 2015.