Biodegradable Packaging for Environment
Biodegradable Packaging for Environment Public Co. Ltd., (BPE) is a Thai company. It manufactures biodegradable, compostable, therefore disposable tableware products. The products primarily are made from bagasse, a natural product made from the pulp of sugar cane after the sugar has been extracted. From its founding in 2005 until 2012 BPE branded its products as "Biochanaoy". In 2012 it renamed its brand, "Gracz".
BPE was founded in January 2005 by Dr Weerachat Kittirattanapaiboon, MD. Company headquarters is in Bangkok with its industrial facilities in Chai Nat Province, approximately 188 km north of Bangkok. Major shareholders are the MDS Group, the National Innovation Agency of the Ministry of Science and Technology, and the Office of Small and Medium Enterprises Promotion (OSMEP) of the Ministry of Industry.
- Gracz Classic: A family of over 50 tableware items ranging from cups, bowls, plates, and clamshell containers to cutlery. The items, white in color, are made from bagasse exclusively.
- Gracz Simple: A family of tableware items, cream colored, made from bagasse and bamboo.
- Non-food containers: BPE manufactures industrial packaging products.
The company currently has over 400 employees and hopes to double production to five million pieces per day in 2017. BPE earns 70 percent of its total annual revenue from exports to developed countries. In 2017 it affirmed its intention to penetrate its home market of Thailand and the other nine ASEAN nations under the GracZ label. It also sells private label goods to brands such as Studio, Walmart, and Lidl Stiftung & Co.
The firm is the only company in Thailand to be awarded the Thailand Board of Investment (BOI) Privilege in the environmental category. The factory energy runs completely on LPG and steam, and all wastes from the production process are recycled. Bagasse is a natural product, Biodegradable in 45 days in a landfill or in nature. Bagasse products can be frozen, can go to an oven, and are microwavable. The company's products are UV pasteurized, and are safe for food contact.
BPE received several awards: Demark Award, Good Design Award, and the Certificate of Material Excellence.
- "FAQs". Gracz. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "History". Gracz. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "B.P.E". MDS Group. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "Background". National Innovation Agency (NIA). Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "Products". Gracz. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- Praiwan, Yuthana (6 March 2017). "The total package". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- Najafi, Paul (27 August 2009). "Une nourriture saine dans des emballages sains". 20 Minutes. Retrieved 6 March 2017.