A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2017)
Björn Dirk Krapohl
|Born||26 January 1965|
|Known for||Hand surgery, breast surgery|
|Fields||Plastic surgery, breast surgery, hand surgery|
|Institutions||University of Lübeck, Charité|
Björn Dirk Krapohl (born 26 January 1965, Kettiwg, Germany) is a German surgeon, specializing in plastic surgery and hand surgery at the University of Lübeck and the Charité in Berlin. He is known for his work in the fields of reconstructive microsurgery, hand surgery, and breast surgery.
Krapohl studied human medicine at the universities of Giessen, Aachen, Paris, London (Canada), Toronto (Canada), Philadelphia and Cologne. In 1995 he was promoted to doctor of medicine at the University of Cologne and also finished the United States Medical Licensing Examination (ECFMG licence), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S. He hold several positions until 2003 including medicine at The Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Cleveland, Ohio U.S. and at the Section of Telerobotics, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, NASA in Pasadena, California, U.S. He obtained his licensure for plastic surgery in 2003 and was habilitated in the discipline of plastic surgery at the University of Lübeck in the same year. He also obtained a venia docendi at the University of Vienna. In 2005 he obtained an additional title for hand surgery.
Krapohl was named head of the Department of Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery at the Armed Forces Hospital (Bundwehrkrankenhaus) Berlin and consulting physician at the Center of Musculoskeletal Surgery at the Charité, University Medicine. He was named lecturer of the Charité at the Armed Forces Hospital Berlin and at the lecturer-association of the Charité in 2007. The University of Lübeck appointed Krapohl as associate professor in 2008. He was a guest lecturer at the Medical faculty of the Military Academy of Hanoi, Vietnam from 2010 to 2011 and a guest lecturer at the Medical High School of Tiflis in 2012. Krapohl was named head of the Section of Plastic Surgery at the Center of Musculoskeletal Surgery at the Charité, University Medicine, Berlin in 2014. In 2015 he became chief physician for plastic and aesthetic surgery, reconstructive microsurgery and hand surgery at the Marien-Hospital Berlin as well as consultant physician for reconstructive surgery and child surgery and also consultant surgery for breast reconstruction at the Charité. In 2018 he was recruited by the Carl-Thiem-Klinikum Cottbus (Germany) to establish Plastic Surgery at this hospital and to build up a Center for Reconstructive Surgery in affiliation with Department of Maxillofacial Surgery.
Since the beginning of his university career, Krapohl has focused on microsurgery of peripheral nerves and vessels. While working at the Cleveland Clinic Krapohl was involved in the development of animal models for transplantation of extremities and organs. Furthermore, he established animal models for microvascular thrombosis and thrombolysis. In 1997 the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory recruited Krapohl for the development of a prototype robot for microsurgical procedures in collaboration with the NASA engineers. Later on he continued his interest in microsurgery and especially in microsurgical replantation of extremities. When he began his work at the Military Hospital in Berlin he gradually focused on surgery of the breast. He prove that in military guards just the impact of the carbine to the chest while exercising can induce unilateral breast growth. Thereby he verified a new etiology of male gynecomastia due to mechanical stimulation. His findings were integrated into the guidelines of gynecomastia.
- Since 2004: German society of plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgeons
- Since 2004: Austrian society of hand surgery
- Since 2008: German Society for Plastic and Reconstruction Surgery, head of section of aesthetic surgery
Honors and awards
- Price of the Ohio Valley Society for Plastic Surgeons, Indianapolis, USA (1997)
- Gwinner, Clemens; Märdian, Sven; Schwabe, Philipp; Schaser, Klaus-D.; Krapohl, Björn Dirk; Jung, Tobias M. (2016). "Current concepts review: Fractures of the patella". GMS Interdisciplinary Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery DGPW. 5: Doc01. doi:10.3205/iprs000080. ISSN 2193-8091. PMC 4717300. PMID 26816667.
- Schanz, Stefan; Schreiber, Gerhard; Zitzmann, Michael; Krapohl, Björn Dirk; Horch, Raymund; Köhn, Frank-Michael (April 2017). "S1-Leitlinie: Gynäkomastie im Erwachsenenalter". Journal der Deutschen Dermatologischen Gesellschaft. 15 (4): 465–472. doi:10.1111/ddg.13080_g. ISSN 1610-0387. PMID 28378481. S2CID 45049174.
- Kwiatkowska, Katarzyna; Krapohl, Björn Dirk; Tanzella, Ursula; Ueberreiter, Klaus (2019). "Long-term clinical results and quality of life in patients undergoing autologous fat transplantation for breast augmentation using the BEAULI™ protocol". GMS Interdisciplinary Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery DGPW. 8: Doc10. doi:10.3205/iprs000136. ISSN 2193-8091. PMC 6545491. PMID 31275800.
- Eder, Christian; Scheller, Ariane; Schwab, Nina; Krapohl, Björn Dirk (2019). "Four-corner arthrodesis of the wrist using Variable Angle Locking Compression Intercarpal Fusion Plate (VA LCP ICF Plate; Synthes®): pre- and postoperative radiological analysis and clinical outcome in long-term evaluation". GMS Interdisciplinary Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery DGPW. 8: Doc15. doi:10.3205/iprs000141. ISSN 2193-8091. PMC 6883383. PMID 31815084.
- Schanz, Stefan; Schreiber, Gerhard; Zitzmann, Michael; Krapohl, Björn Dirk; Horch, Raymund; Köhn, Frank-Michael (April 2017). "S1 guidelines: Gynecomastia in adults". Journal of the German Society of Dermatology. 15 (4): 465–472. doi:10.1111/ddg.13080. ISSN 1610-0387. PMID 28378479. S2CID 43392607.
- St. Marienkrankenhaus Berlin: Plastische Chirurgie und Handchirurgie
- Charité Centrum für muskulo-skeletale Chirurgie: Plastische Chirurgie
- "Vita Krapohl" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-03-19. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- Krapohl CV
- Krapohl BD, Zins JE, Siemionow M. A model for allogenic extremity transplantation in the rat with possible microcirculatory monitoring]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2000 Nov;32(6):430-5
- Krapohl BD, Siemionow M, Piza P, Pieramici SF, Zins JE. Thrombogenic stimulus causes long-term decrease of muscle flap perfusion. Ann Plast Surg. 1999 Mar;42(3):299-305.
- Krapohl BD, Siemionow M, Zins JE. Effect of tissue-plasminogen activator on leukocyte-endothelial interactions at the microcirculatory level. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998 Dec;102(7):2388-94.
- Krapohl BD, Reichert B, Machens HG, Mailänder P, Siemionow M, Zins JE. Computer-guided microsurgery: surgical evaluation of a telerobotic arm. Microsurgery. 2001;21(1):22-9.
- Märdian S, Krapohl BD, Roffeis J, Disch AC, Schaser KD, Schwabe P. Complete major amputation of the upper extremity: Early results and initial treatment algorithm. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2015 Mar;78(3):586-93.
- Kuhne HP, Egler S, Lenz S, Lieber A, Doll D, Krapohl BD. Gynecomastia in German soldiers: etiology and pathology. GMS Interdiscip Plast Reconstr Surg DGPW. 2012 Jan 9;1:Doc03. doi:10.3205/iprs000003.
- Bundeswehr Kein Scherz! Vielen Soldaten wachsen Brüste (Hamburger Morgenpost 16. 1. 2013)
- AWMF-Leitlinien für die Gynäkomastie im Erwachsenenalter