Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|President||Bashar W. Hanna |
|Location||Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
Maroon and gold|
|Athletics||NCAA Division II – PSAC|
Keystone Library Network|
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, commonly referred to as Bloomsburg, BU or Bloom, is a comprehensive public university located in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, United States. It is one of the 14 state universities of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE). Bloomsburg University is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, as well as by AACSB, NCATE, ABET, and by many other specialized accrediting agencies.
It was established as Bloomsburg Academy in 1839. In 1856 it was renamed Bloomsburg Literary Institute. The name became Bloomsburg Literary Institute and State Normal School in 1869. In 1916 the state of Pennsylvania took control and named it Bloomsburg State Normal School. The name was changed to Bloomsburg State Teachers College in 1927. In 1960 the name was changed to Bloomsburg State College. The name was changed to the current Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania on July 1, 1983.
Programs and clubs
Bloomsburg University offers 54 undergraduate majors, 44 undergraduate minors and 20 graduate programs. The school has more than 250 student clubs and organizations.
- According to US News and World Report, Bloomsburg comes in at 95 in their list of top northeast universities. Nursing, Business, and Speech-Pathology were also ranked highly in their respective categories.
- BU was featured on Washington Monthly’s 2013 Best Bang for the Buck Rankings, a national list of schools that help non-wealthy students attain marketable degrees at affordable prices. BU ranked 113th out of 1,572 schools in Washington Monthly’s broader rankings.
- In 2018 US News ranked BU #102 in Regional Universities North.
In 2012/2013 Bloomsburg University received 10,379 applications and accepted 7,015 (68%) of these applicants making Bloomsburg selective in its admission standards. The entering class had an average GPA of 3.39 and an average combined SAT score of 1040.
Bloomsburg teams participate as a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)'s Division II and Division I for wrestling. The Huskies are a member of the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC). Men's sports include baseball, basketball, cross country, football, soccer, swimming, tennis, track & field and wrestling; while women's sports include basketball, cross country, field hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis and track & field.
Bloomsburg University overlooks the town of Bloomsburg, and is situated a few hundred yards from the community's business district. Geisinger-Bloomsburg Hospital is across the street from a cluster of residence halls. The lower campus consists of seven residence halls, a student services center, campus dining, instructional buildings, library and recreational and social facilities. Upper campus is about a half-mile away, and is connected by shuttle service. It contains athletic facilities, three university-owned student apartment complexes, and a dining and conference facility. It is home to Huskies athletics, including the Nelson Field House; Redman Stadium; fields for soccer, lacrosse and field hockey, baseball and softball; and a tennis center.
- Dennis Bermudez, professional MMA fighter in the UFC 
- Mark S. Schweiker, former Governor of Pennsylvania
- Jimmi Simpson, actor
- Jahri Evans, Professional Football Player
- Chuck Daly, NBA coach
- "President Bashar W. Hanna". Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "University Colors" (PDF). Bloomu.edu. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- "Home". Dgs.state.pa.us. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- Pennsylvania Local Government Fact Sheet, 2005 Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania history". Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 2015-09-15.
- "Quick Facts 2012‐13" (PDF). Departments.bloomu.edu. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- "Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania". Rankingsandreviews.com.
- "Best Colleges". US News. Retrieved 2018-05-20.
- "Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania - The College Board". Collegeboard.org.
- "Dennis Bermudez ("The Menace") - MMA Fighter Page - Tapology". Tapology. Retrieved 17 May 2018.