Bonito de Minas
|Bonito de Minas|
|Motto(s): Portuguese: Coragem pra fazer Bonito (Courage to make Bonito)|
Location in Minas Gerais
|Mesoregion||North of Minas Gerais|
|Incorporated (municipality)||December 21, 1995|
|• Mayor||José Reis Nogueira de Barros|
|• Total||3,904.911 km2 (1,507.695 sq mi)|
|Elevation||600 m (2,000 ft)|
|• Density||2.48/km2 (6.4/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BRT (UTC-3)|
|• Summer (DST)||BRST (UTC-2)|
|CEP postal code||39490-000|
|HDI (2010) ||0,583|
Bonito de Minas is a municipality in the northeast of the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais. As of 2007 the population was 8,787 in a total area of 3,901 km2. The elevation is 629 meters. It became a municipality in 1995.
Bonito de Minas is part of the statistical microregion of Januária. It is surrounded by the following municipalities: Januária, Montalvânia, Cônego Marinho, and the state of Bahia. It is connected by poor roads to the regional center of Januária to the south. The distance is 48 kilometers. The Serra dos Tropeiros and the boundary with the state of Bahia are to the north.
This is one of the poorest municipalities in the state and in the country. The main economic activities are cattle raising and farming with modest production of rice, beans, corn, and lemons. In 2006 there were 695 rural producers with a total area of 63,936 hectares. Cropland made up 4,800 hectares. There were only 36 tractors. In the urban area there were no financial institutions as of 2006. There were 13 automobiles, giving a ratio of about one automobile for every 676 inhabitants, one of the worst in the country. Health care was provided by 1 public health clinic. There were no hospitals.
Municipal Human Development Index
- MHDI: .580 (2000)
- State ranking: 849 out of 853 municipalities as of 2000
- National ranking: 4,979 out of 5,138 municipalities as of 2000
- Life expectancy: 64
- Literacy rate: 62
- Combined primary, secondary and tertiary gross enrolment ratio: .744
- Per capita income (monthly): R$49.12 (For the complete list see Frigoletto)
- "Área territorial oficial" [Official Territorial Area] (in Portuguese). Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE). 2002-10-10. Retrieved 2014-12-03.
- "Estimativas de população para 1º de julho de 2014" (in Portuguese). Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE). Retrieved 2014-12-03.
- "IBGE - Cidades@". O Brasil Município por Município. Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE). Retrieved 2015-05-27.
- "Ranking decrescente do IDH-M dos municípios do Brasil" [Ranking of HDI-M of Brazilian Municipalities] (PDF) (in Portuguese). United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). 2010. Retrieved 2013-08-03.