|in Kinnerasani Wildlife Sanctuary, Andhra Pradesh, India.|
Triana & Planch.
Boswellia serrata is a plant that produces Indian frankincense, Salai, referred to in Sanskrit as shallaki and in Latin as Olibanum Indicum. the plant is native to much of India and the Punjab region that extends into Pakistan.
Extracts of Boswellia serrata have been clinically studied for osteoarthritis and joint function, particularly for osteoarthritis of the knee, with the research showing a slight improvement of both pain and function compared to a placebo. Positive effects of Boswellia in some chronic inflammatory diseases including rheumatoid arthritis, bronchial asthma, osteoarthritis, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease have been reported. Some see Boswellia serrata as a promising alternative to NSAIDs, warranting further investigation in pharmacological studies and clinical trials.
Boswellia serrata has been recently developed for topical use in a patent-pending formula in Sano Relief Gel. Boswellia serrata is used in the manufacture of the anti-wrinkle agent "Boswelox", which has been criticised as being ineffective.
- BBC News Health - Frankincense 'can ease arthritis' Friday 01/08/08
- European Scientific Cooperative on Phytotherapy (2009). E/S/C/O/P Monographs: The Scientific Foundation for Herbal Medicinal Products. Second Edition, Supplement 2009. European Scientific Cooperative on Phytotherapy. p. 184. ISBN 9781901964080.
- "USDA GRIN Taxonomy". Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "JOINT RELIEF". www.herbcompanion.com. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Cameron, M; Chrubasik, S (May 22, 2014). "Oral herbal therapies for treating osteoarthritis". Cochrane Summaries. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- Ammon, HP (2010). "Modulation of the immune system by Boswellia serrata extracts and boswellic acids". Phytomedicine. 17 (11): 862–7. doi:10.1016/j.phymed.2010.03.003.
- Abdel-Tawab, M; Werz, O; Schubert-Zsilavecz, M (Jun 2011). "Boswellia serrata: an overall assessment of in vitro, preclinical, pharmacokinetic and clinical data". Clin Pharmacokinet. 50 (6): 349–69. PMID 21553931. doi:10.2165/11586800-000000000-00000.
- Siddiqui, MZ (2011). "Boswellia serrata, a potential antiinflammatory agent: an overview". Indian J Pharm Sci. 73: 255–61. PMC . PMID 22457547. doi:10.4103/0250-474X.93507.
- Wrinkle breakthrough claim from L'Oreal
- L'Oreal slammed over cream claims