BOY in December 2015.
|Members||Valeska Steiner |
Boy (stylized BOY) is a Swiss–German pop duo founded in 2007 by Swiss singer Valeska Steiner and German bassist Sonja Glass. The two met while at a pop-music course at the Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hamburg in 2005. The band initially played concerts exclusively, before being discovered by and signed to Herbert Grönemeyer's label, Grönland Records, in 2011.
Their debut album, Mutual Friends (Gold-certified in Germany), was produced by Philipp Steinke and released in the autumn of 2011. The band sings entirely in English in a style reminiscent of that of Leslie Feist.
The duo's song "Little Numbers" was also featured in the Lufthansa Airline's Business Class advertisement in mid-2012. In 2013 the song was at No. 4 in the Japan Hot 100.
The duo's first-ever USA tour launched on March 1, 2013 with a sold-out performance at Joe's Pub, New York City.
After a two-year hiatus to focus on song-writing, the duo released their second studio album We Were Here in 2015.
Valeska Steiner was born in Zurich in October 28, 1985. She grew up surrounded by music, taking piano and singing lessons from the age of seven. She took part in several bands of various styles all through her adolescence, ranging from heavy metal to afro music, though at the time she thought of it more as an important part of her life than as a career path. With Sonja, she declared it was the first time she felt something was being created, instead of copied from what already existed.
Sonja Glass was born in Munich in November 30, 1976. She played the cello until she was "about 18", when a guitar player saw her on the street with the cello after a concert and asked her to play in his band. There she met some girl bass players and got interested in the instrument. She didn't finish high school, but did study bass in the Netherlands, where she says it is easier to be accepted than in Germany.
The duo met at a six-week music course, but then Valeska returned to Switzerland and the two kept in touch rather irregularly, with Sonja occasionally sending her songs she had just written, but they didn't yet know what to write about together. The band was only formed two years later.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|We Were Here||
|"—" denotes album that did not chart or was not released|
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2011||"Little Numbers"||56||91||139||65||4||17||Mutual Friends|
|2015||"We Were Here"||74||—||—||57||—||—||We Were Here|
|"Hit My Heart"||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|"Drive Darling"||2012||Mutual Friends|
On stage at the Kulturzentrum Schlachthof in Wiesbaden, 2016
- "Der Musik die nötige Zeit lassen: Das Frauenduo Boy präsentiert sein Debütalbum in der Alten Börse - Pop und Jazz Nachrichten". NZZ.ch. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- "Interview Valeska Steiner, Boy: über 1. Album, Herbert Grönemeyer – Schweizer Illustrierte" (in German). Schweizer-illustrierte.ch. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- "Grönland Records angelt sich Boy | Musikmarkt" (in German). Musikmarkt.de. Archived from the original on 2012-09-04. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- "– Kein Kind von Traurigkeit | Musik | Züritipp Online". Zueritipp.ch. 2011-11-15. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- "Boy To Release Mutual Friends In North America". Nettskinny.com. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20111107205146/http://www.europeanborderbreakersawards.eu/content/boy. Archived from the original on November 7, 2011. Retrieved November 29, 2011. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120406010045/http://festival.eurosonic-noorderslag.nl/en/act/boy-1/. Archived from the original on April 6, 2012. Retrieved December 6, 2011. Missing or empty
- "Japan Hot 100 : Page 1". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- "Die Musikerinnen der Band »Boy« im Interview ohne Worte über ihren außergewöhnlichen Musikstil und Rituale vor Konzerten". Retrieved 2017-11-24.
- FaceCulture (2015-12-17), BOY interview - Valeska & Sonja (part 1), retrieved 2017-11-24
- "UNICUM trifft: BOY". UNICUM ABI. 2012-05-29. Retrieved 2017-11-24.
- "Discography BOY". swisscharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- "Discographie BOY". austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- "Discografie BOY". ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "Discographie BOY". ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "Discographie BOY". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- "BOY - Germany Albums".
- "BOY - Billboard Alternative".
- "BOY - Billboard Independent".
- "Hungry Beast". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- "BOY - Japan Hot 100".
- "BOY - US Triple A".
- "Drive Darling". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boy (duo).|