Breathless (Camel album)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Studio album by|
|Released||22 September 1978|
|Studio||The Manor, Chipping Norton Recording Studios, Threshold, England|
|Producer||Camel, Mick Glossop|
Breathless is the sixth studio album by the English progressive rock band Camel, released in 1978. It is the last album to feature the group's original keyboardist, Peter Bardens, who left the group before the tour for the album. He was replaced with two keyboardists for the tour, both ex-Caravan members: Dave Sinclair (bassist Richard Sinclair's cousin) and Jan Schelhaas.
The album focuses on shorter, radio-friendly songs, as the group was trying to gain some airplay. Also, the group gives their sound another feel on some tracks. For example, the humorous "Down on the Farm" sounds like Caravan (a fact reinforced by having Richard Sinclair as the lead singer on the track), and "Summer Lightning" has a disco-feel with extended solos from Bardens and Latimer.
However, the group retained its jazz influence and progressive sound on other tracks. Notable examples of this are "The Sleeper" and "Echoes", which sound similar to music contained on early albums like Mirage (1974) and Moonmadness (1976). Both songs are highlights of the album, and "Echoes" also became a favourite on the group's live repertoire, and is considered among fans as one of the best songs the group ever recorded.
This album shows how the band continued transforming their sound into a pop-like sound, while it also displays the group's progressive and jazz roots and other styles as well.
- Side one
- "Breathless" (Andrew Latimer, Peter Bardens, Andy Ward) – 4:21
- "Echoes" (Latimer, Bardens, Ward) – 7:21
- "Wing and a Prayer" (Latimer, Bardens) – 4:46
- "Down on the Farm" (Richard Sinclair) – 4:25
- "Starlight Ride" (Latimer, Bardens) – 3:26
- Side two
- "Summer Lightning" (Latimer, Sinclair) – 6:10
- "You Make Me Smile" (Latimer, Bardens) – 4:18
- "The Sleeper" (Latimer, Bardens, Ward, Mel Collins) – 7:08
- "Rainbow's End" (Latimer, Bardens) – 3:01
- 2009 Expanded & Remastered Edition
- "Rainbow's End" (Single version) - 2:59
- Andrew Latimer – guitar, Yamaha CS-50 & CS-80 synthesizers; vocals on "Echoes", "Starlight Ride", "You Make Me Smile" and "Rainbow's End"
- Peter Bardens – keyboards, organ; vocals on "Wing and a Prayer"
- Mel Collins – flute, oboe, saxophones
- Richard Sinclair – bass; vocals on "Breathless", "Down on the Farm" and "Summer Lightning"
- Andy Ward – drums, percussion
- Additional personnel
- Dave Sinclair – synthesizer on "You Make Me Smile", piano on "Rainbow's End"
- Jan Schelhaas – clavinet on "You Make Me Smile"
- Engineered by Mick Glossop
- Artwork by Michael Munday & CREAM
- Camel - Breathless (1978) album review by Daevid Jehnzen, credits & releases at AllMusic.com
- "Camel - Breathless (1978) album releases & credits at Discogs". www.discogs.com. Retrieved 2009-09-01.
- "Camel - Breathless (1978) album credits & user reviews at ProgArchives.com". www.ProgArchives.com. Retrieved 2009-09-01.
- Camel - Breathless (1978) album review by Killerhit, credits & user reviews at SputnikMusic.com
- Camel - Breathless (1978) album to be listened as stream at Play.Spotify.com