|Born||Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada|
|Labels||Random Act, Sony Masterworks|
Skonberg was born in Chilliwack, British Columbia. She took piano lessons in elementary school, switching to trumpet in her early teens. In 2006, she graduated from Capilano University in Vancouver with a degree in jazz trumpet and was the leader of Bria's Hot Five and The Big Bang Jazz Band. She also performed with Canadian jazz veteran Dal Richards and his Orchestra in concert and on recordings. She was co-founder of the all-female jazz group Mighty Aphrodite Jazz Band.
Skonberg has appeared as a band leader and guest artist at jazz festivals in North America, Europe, China and Japan. She moved to New York City in 2010. She was a co-founder of the New York Hot Jazz Festival.
Awards and honors
- Jazz Award of Merit, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 2006
- Kobe Jazz Street Award, Breda Jazz Festival, 2007
- Outstanding Jazz Artist, New York Bistro Award
- Nomination, Artist of the Year, Jazz Journalists Association, 2013
- Swing! Award, Jazz at Lincoln Center, 2015
- Fresh (2009)
- So Is the Day (Random Act, 2012)
- Into Your Own (Random Act, 2014)
- Bria (Sony Masterworks, 2016)
- "Interview with Bria Skonberg". Artsmania.
- Bernstein, Adam (11 April 2013). "Bria Skonberg: A young jazz star on the rise". The Washington Post. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "Bria Skonberg". CBC Music.
- Lyon, Christine (June 24, 2015). "Bria Skonberg brings her music home". Vancouver Courier.
- "Bria Skonberg". Downtown Oakville Jazz Festival.