Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
|Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep|
|Studio album by Spock's Beard|
|Released||April 2, 2013|
|Length||55:50 (Main album)
25:44 (Bonus disc)
|Label||InsideOut Music/Century Media|
|Producer||Rich Mouser, Alan Morse and John Boegehold|
|Spock's Beard chronology|
Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep is the eleventh studio album by American progressive rock band Spock's Beard. It is their first album with new singer Ted Leonard and drummer Jimmy Keegan in place of Nick D'Virgilio, while former member Neal Morse co-wrote two tracks, including "Waiting for Me", on which he plays guitar.
Background and recording
In the summer of 2011, Spock's Beard were scheduled to play at the Sweden Rock Festival and High Voltage Festival in Europe. Incumbent singer Nick D'Virgilio was unable to play at the dates, so the band recruited Enchant singer Ted Leonard to fill in for Nick on both shows. On 19 November 2011, Nick officially announced that he had left the band to pursue other projects, including playing for Cirque du Soleil. Later that week, the band announced that Leonard and touring drummer Jimmy Keegan had joined the band full-time as Nick's replacement.
On 13 May 2012, the band announced that work had begun on their 11th studio album, tentatively due in the fall of that year. On 1 December 2012, the title of the album was revealed as Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep and would be released in April 2013. As with previous albums, a preorder campaign was launched, this time on crowdfunding site Indiegogo, to fund the recording of the album. Contributors to the campaign were entitled to preorder a limited edition of the album that would include a bonus track not present on any other releases. The track listing was announced on the band's Facebook page on 18 January 2013.
|Sea of Tranquility|||
The album has received generally positive reviews.[according to whom?]
|Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep|
|1.||"Hiding Out"||Ted Leonard||7:13|
|2.||"I Know Your Secret"||Dave Meros, John Boegehold||7:40|
|3.||"A Treasure Abandoned"||Boegehold, Alan Morse||8:53|
|5.||"Afterthoughts"||A. Morse, Neal Morse, Leonard||6:08|
|6.||"Something Very Strange"||Boegehold||8:23|
|7.||"Waiting for Me"||A. Morse, N. Morse||12:36|
|Special Edition Bonus Disc|
|1.||"The Man You're Afraid You Are"||A. Morse, Stan Ausmus||7:11|
|2.||"Down a Burning Road"||Boegehold, A. Morse||6:51|
|3.||"Wish I Were Here"||A. Morse||6:33|
|4.||"Something Very Strange" (Sanctified remix)||Boegehold||5:09|
|5.||"Postcards from Perdition" (Limited Edition bonus track)||Boegehold||4:27|
- Ted Leonard — lead and backing vocals, guitar
- Alan Morse — electric and acoustic guitars, backing vocals, pedal & lap steel guitar, mandolin, autoharp
- Ryo Okumoto — organ, mellotron, piano, synths, clavinet, vocoder
- Dave Meros — bass guitar, backing vocals
- Jimmy Keegan — drums and percussion, timpani, backing vocals
- Stan Ausmus — song co-writer, additional guitar ("The Man You’re Afraid You Are")
- John Boegehold — song co-writer, vocoder ("Something Very Strange")
- Craig Eastman — violin, viola, hurdy-gurdy ("Waiting for Me", "Down a Burning Road")
- Neal Morse — song co-writer, additional guitar ("Waiting for Me")
- Produced by Rich Mouser, Alan Morse and John Boegehold
- Engineered, mixed and mastered by Rich Mouser at The Mouse House, Altadena, CA
|US Top Heatseekers Albums (Billboard)||47|
- "Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep - Spock's Beard - Releases". allmusic. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "Spock's Beard Trail Eleventh Album". Prog Rock magazine. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Spock's Beard Premiere: Something Very Strange". Prog Rock magazine. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (booklet). Spock's Beard. InsideOut Music. 2013. ASIN B00BC0JI6O.
- "Spock's Beard welcome Ted Leonard". DPRP. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- "SPOCK'S BEARD singer quits". Brave Words. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- "Spock's Beard News Archive". SpocksBeard.com. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- "Announcing: SPOCK'S BEARD has a NEW Recording & Touring Lineup!". Facebook. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- "Spocks Beard - 11th studio CD". Indiegogo. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- "Track listing for Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep". Facebook. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- Dome, Malcolm. "Spock's Beard: Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep". Classic Rock. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- Reid, Stephen. "Review: "Spock's Beard: Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep"". Sea of Tranquility. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (album review)". Sputnik Music. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- Rensen, Michael. "Rock Hard". issue 311. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "Spock's Beard – Chart history" Billboard Top Heatseekers Albums for Spock's Beard. Retrieved 7 March 2014.