|Born||1973 (age 45–46)|
|Occupation||Writer and activist|
Brigitte Vasallo (Barcelona, 1973) is a Spanish writer and antiracist, feminist and LGBTI activist, specially known for her critique of gendered islamophobia, purplewashing and homonationalism, as well as for the defence of polyamory in affective relationships.
Daughter of a Galician family that migrated to France and then to Catalonia, she vindicates her xarnego identity, although she does not fit with the original meaning of the term. She has spent most of her adult life in Morocco, which has allowed her to acquire a perspective of the ethnocentric and colonial hegemonic thinking of Western society.
She collaborates regularly with various media, such as eldiario.es, Catalunya Ràdio, Diagonal, La Directa or Pikara Magazine, in addition to giving numerous lectures. Likewise, she is a lecturer in the Master of Gender and Communication at the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
Vasallo's work is structured around two main axes. On the one hand, she analyzes intersectionality between racism and misogyny, particularly on how it affects Muslim women. In this sense, she denounces purplewashing and pinkwashing, or in other words, how feminism and LGBTI rights are instrumentalized to justify xenophobia, ceasing to be ends in themselves.
On the other hand, she values other ways of relating, apart from the traditional monogamy, overcoming fidelity as a mode of possession and love as a limited good. However, she also warns of how polyamory can be appropriated by neoliberalism from an individualistic perspective, reproducing the inherited power structures and objectifying people and their bodies as another consumable commodity.
- Pornoburka: desventuras del Raval y otras f(r)icciones contemporáneas (2013).
- Pensamiento monógamo. Terror poliamoroso (2018).
- Aula Oberta. Saber, hacer, comprender. Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona. 14 February 2017. (in Spanish)
- Brigitte Vasallo: "El pensamiento monógamo genera identidades cerradas que operan con violencia". Diagonal. 10 February 2016. (in Spanish)
- Brigitte Vasallo: “Pensar que el burka es patriarcal y que las mujeres no tienen manera de redomarlo es una mirada colonial”. AraInfo. Diario Libre d'Aragón. 8 December 2014. (in Spanish)
- Docents. Archived 2017-09-01 at the Wayback Machine Màster en Gènere i Comunicació. UAB. (in Catalan)
- Burkas en el ojo ajeno: el feminismo como exclusión. Pikara Magazine. 4 December 2014. (in Spanish)
- Del pornoburka al purplewashing, los trucos más sucios contra el feminismo. El Confidencial. 3 April 2016. (in Spanish)
- Conchita Wurst y los peligros del homonacionalismo. Diagonal. 21 May 2014. (in Spanish)
- Romper la monogamia como apuesta política. Pikara Magazine. 22 March 2013. (in Spanish)
- #OccupyLove: por una revolución de los afectos. Diagonal. 5 February 2014. (in Spanish)
- El poliamor ‘is the new black’. Pikara Magazine. 22 October 2014. (in Spanish)
- Vasallo, Brigitte (2013). Pornoburka : desventuras del Raval y otras f(r)icciones contemporáneas (in Spanish). Ediciones Cautivas. ISBN 978-84-616-6174-9.
- El Raval, sin imposturas. La Marea. 28 November 2014. (in Spanish)
- Vasallo, Brigitte (2018). Pensamiento monógamo. Terror poliamoroso (in Spanish). La Oveja Roja. ISBN 978-84-16227-24-2.