Bristol Bisons RFC
Bristol Bisons Logo
|Location||Cribbs Causeway, Patchway, Bristol, England|
|Coach(es)||Ben Rockett, Lee Penfold & Olly Straw|
The Bristol Bisons RFC (Bisons) were established in 2005, following a visit to the Bingham Cup gay rugby tournament in the summer of 2004 in London. The founders felt that it would be good to spread the messages of an inclusive gay rugby team in the South west.
Training for the newly formed club started early in 2005. One of the first matches was the Bisons versus a Barbarians side of players from Manchester and Bristol. By 2009 the club had gone through a quiet spell so it was decided to relaunch the club with new kit and promotional material in December 2009.
As part of Bristol Pride 2010 the club promoted itself more visibly particularly on the Bristol gay scene. During season 2010/2011 the team grew in strength and numbers and now has around 30 regular and occasional players. In 2011, the team took part in Bristol Pride and Swindon Pride. In July 2011, the team were chosen as hosts for the Union Cup 2013 European Gay rugby tournament.
In 2016, the Bristol Bisons moved to Clifton RFC near the Mall in Cribbs Causeway.
The following is a list of tournaments held by or attended by the team.
- 2006 – Spring – Rugby Tournament, Bristol
- 2006 – Rugby 7's tournament at Bristol Gay Mardi Gras
- 2007 – Spring – Rugby Tournament, Bristol
- 2005 Montpellier, France Finished 7th place
- 2007 Copenhagen, Denmark The Bisons were part of a joint team with the Newcastle Ravens and Cardiff Lions that reached the final and lost to the Dublin Emerald Warriors RFC.
- 2009 London, UK 1st in the 7's after a closely fought final against the Paris team
- 2011 Amsterdam, Netherlands 2nd in the 10's tournament behind Montpellier, France.
- 2013 Bristol, UK Bristol Bisons RFC to Host 2013 Union Cup in Bristol, UK.
- 2016 Madrid, Spain Narrowly lost out on winning the Silver Union Bowl.
- 2008 Dublin, Ireland Some members of the team played with the Cardiff Lions at the Dublin Bingham Cup in 2008
- 2010 Minneapolis, United States Did not enter competition
- 2012 Manchester, UK Though the team has not entered a Bingham cup competition yet, they will compete at the next Bingham Cup 2012 in Manchester, hosted by the Manchester Village Spartans RFC.
- 2018 Amsterdam, Netherlands Bristol Bisons will be attending the Bingham Cup in Amsterdam.
Memberships and affiliations
- Full member of the International Gay Rugby Association and Board (IGRAB)<
- Affiliated members of the Gloucestershire Rugby Football Union(GRFU)
- Affiliated members of the Rugby Football Union(RFU)
- Beacham, Rhiannon. "Gay rugby Union Cup 2013 hosted by Bristol Bisons". BBC. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "The Union Cup". Gay Rugby Clubs. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Bristol Bisons to host the Union Cup 2013". Everything Rugby. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Members". International Gay Rugby Association and Board. Retrieved 5 November 2016.
- Quirke, Jeni. "Bristol Bisons join Rugby Football Union". Pink Paper. Archived from the original on 19 March 2012. Retrieved 11 December 2015.