Brownwood High School
|Brownwood High School|
|2100 Slayden Street
Brownwood, Texas 76801
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Brownwood Independent School District|
|Color(s)||Maroon & White|
|Athletics conference||UIL Class 4A|
|Website||Brownwood High School|
Brownwood High School is a public high school located in Brownwood, Texas (US). It is part of the Brownwood Independent School District located in central Brown County and classified as a 4A school by the UIL. In 2015, the school was rated "Met Standard" by the Texas Education Agency.
The Brownwood Lions compete in the following sports:
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
During the 1960s and 1970s, Brownwood was one of the most dominant football programs in Texas. Under the guidance of coach Gordon Wood, the Lions made the state finals eight times and winning titles on a state-record seven occasions.
- Football 
- 1960(3A), 1965(3A), 1967(3A), 1969(3A), 1970(3A), 1978(3A), 1981(4A)
- Boys Golf 
- 1955(2A), 1985(4A), 1986(4A)
- Boys Track 
- UIL Academics-Accounting 
- 2003 Individual(4A), 2004 Individual(4A), 2005 Individual and Team(4A), 2006 Individual and Team(4A), 2007 Team(4A), 2008 Individual and Team(4A)
Brownwood competes in class 4A in a district with Stephenville, Abilene Wylie, Big Spring, and Snyder.
The Theatre Department at Brownwood High School is headed by Shannon "Momma" Lee. She began her career as the Theatre Director at Brownwood during the 2014-2015 school year. She was a student at Brownwood High School when Larry Mathis was the director. He retired at the end of the 2013-2014 school year. The Theatre Department also includes almost every kind of student; cheerleaders, band members, choir members, and athletes. The 2014 fall production was Beauty and the Beast'. Donnetta Shelton is Shannon Lee's assistant, as well as the Art teacher and the Theatre Arts I teacher.
The Theatre Department has won 1st division titles at both the District and Area contests in 2014 for their production of "The Mill on the Floss", the third time Larry Mathis has produced this show. They also won many awards, including Best Actor, several All Star Cast, Honorable Mention All Star Cast, and the Tech Award. They will now compete at Regionals.
- One Act Play - 
- Robert E. Howard, fantasy and sci-fi writer, creator of Conan the Barbarian
- Jimmy Harris, former NFL defensive back
- Dave Ribble, former NFL guard
- Jim Thomason, former Detroit Lions halfback
- Bob Young, former NFL lineman
- Bart Johnson, Wide Receiver for TCU Horned Frogs football team and Cincinnati Bengals
- Kenny Vaccaro, Safety for Texas Longhorns and New Orleans Saints
- Shelby Miller, 2009 St. Louis Cardinals draft pick
- Casey Pachall, Quarterback for the TCU Horned Frogs football team, Toronto Argonauts
- Bob Denver, lead actor, in Gilligan's Island
- Larry Elkins, two-time All-American flanker at Baylor, and later for the AFL's Houston Oilers
- Roy Spence, founder of GSD&M Idea City
- Jim Morris, former MLB Pitcher for Tampa Bay Rays
- Shawn Hollingsworth, American football player
- Larry D. Thomas, 2008 Texas Poet Laureate
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- "2015 Accountability Rating System". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 2016-04-22.
- The Athletics Department
- Lone Star Football Network
- UIL Centennial webpage Archived March 1, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- UIL Centennial webpage Archived March 3, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-05-07. Retrieved 2012-03-20.
- UIL Centennial webpage Archived March 6, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Lone Star Football Network
- UIL Centennial webpage Archived December 21, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- UIL Centennial Webpage Archived June 1, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.