Bryan Bruce is a documentary maker and author. Born in Scotland in 1948, he emigrated with his family to New Zealand in 1956. He grew up in Christchurch and attended the University of Canterbury, where he graduated with a M.A. in sociology and philosophy. Bruce earned a Diploma in Teaching from Christchurch Teacher's College and taught for 10 years. He was a professional musician for 20 years before he took up a career as a documentary maker. Bryan Bruce now resides in Auckland, New Zealand.
Bruce's feature-length documentaries cover diverse topics, from natural history to crime.
Bruce's published non-fiction works include the following:
- A Taste of History (Batemans, 2007; ISBN 978-1-86953-614-5)
- Hard cases (Random House, New Zealand, 2008; ISBN 978-1-86941-977-6)
- Historia Smaku (Cartablanca, 2000); ISBN 978-83-61444-63-3
- Jesus: The Cold Case (Random House, New Zealand, 2010); ISBN 978-1-86979-197-1
- Jezus: Dowody Zbrodni (Cartablanca, Poland, 2011); ISBN 978-83-7705-043-9
- 2011 Winner Aotearoa Film and Television Awards Awards Best Documentary- Jesus: The Cold Case.
- 2008 Winner Qantas Awards Achievement in Directing. Finalist: Best Factual Entertainment Series.
- 2003 Finalist New York Festivals Television Programming Awards(Writer, Director Producer for The Lost Dinosaurs).
- 2003 Banff Television Festival Award Finalist (The Lost Dinosaurs).
- 2002 Winner- Best Director Factual Entertainment (New Zealand Television Awards)[failed verification]
- Jesus: The Cold Case: A 90-minute documentary for TVNZ. Won AFTA for Best Documentary plus Silver and Bronze Medals in Religion and History categories at The New York Festivals Television and Film Awards. Awarded despite apparent initial TVNZ reluctance to release, and subsequent criticism from some reviewers.
A number of Bruce's documentaries are lodged at The New Zealand Film Archive.
- http://www.listener.co.nz/issue/ 3517/features/9729/who_killed_kayo.html – 20k -
- "Jesus The Cold Case". afta.co.nz. Archived from the original on 20 December 2011. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- "2008 Finalists, Qantas Film & Television awards". Qantasfilmandtvawards.co.nz. Archived from the original on 21 August 2008. Retrieved 7 September 2008.
- "New York Festivals". Newyorkfestivals.com. Retrieved 7 September 2008.
- "Banff Rockie Awards Nominees – BANFF 2003 – Print-Friendly Version". Banff2008.com. Retrieved 7 September 2008.[dead link]
- http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv/4897546/TVNZ-sits-on-controversial-Jesus-doco For one of numerous examples of critique: http://www.beretta-online.com/wordpress/2011/jesus-the-cold-case/ Archived 9 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/jesus-christ-ultimate-cold-case-3446019