The buff ermine (Spilarctia luteum) is a moth of the family Erebidae. It is sometimes placed in the genus Spilosoma. It is found throughout the temperate belt of the Palearctic region south to northern Turkey, Georgia, Kazakhstan, southern Siberia (excluding Buryatia), Eastern Mongolia, Amur Region, China, Korea and Japan.
The wings of this species are buffish yellow (the males tend to be more yellow in colour than the females) and are typically marked with a diagonal row of dark spots on the forewing and a few other scattered spots on both forewings and hindwings. The extent of black markings varies considerably, however, from almost spotless examples to largely black melanic forms. The wingspan is 34–42 mm. The species flies from May to July in the British Isles. This may vary in other parts of the range. It is attracted to light.
Recorded food plants
Some larval food plants include :
- Alnus – alder
- Mentha – mint
- Plantago – plantain
- Quercus – oak
- Rheum – rhubarb
- Ribes – currant
- Rubus – raspberry
- Rumex – dock/sorrel
- Senecio – ragwort
- Urtica – nettle
- Lonicera – honeysuckle
- Spilarctia lutea lutea
- Spilarctia lutea adzharica Dubatolov, 2007 (Georgia)
- Spilarctia lutea japonica (Rothschild, 1910) (Middle Amur, Primorye, southern Sakhalin, southern Kuril Islands, eastern China, Korea, Japan)
- Spilarctia lutea rhodosoma (Turati, 1907) Sicily, the black of the upperside is increased by a larger number of the spots; but especially distinguished by the bright red abdomen.
References and notes
- "Entry for Spilarctia luteum". Database of the World's Lepidopteran Hostplants. Natural History Museum. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- Chinery, MichaelCollins Guide to the Insects of Britain and Western Europe 1986 (Reprinted 1991)
- Skinner, Bernard Colour Identification Guide to Moths of the British Isles 1984
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Spilosoma lutea.|
|Wikispecies has information related to Spilarctia lutea|
- Buff Ermine at Markku Savela's Lepidoptera pages (funet)
- Spilosoma lutea at Fauna Europaea
- Buff Ermine at hlasek.com
- Spilosoma lutea at BOLD
- Spilosoma lutea at EoL
- Beccaloni, G.; Scoble, M.; Kitching, I.; Simonsen, T.; Robinson, G.; Pitkin, B.; Hine, A.; Lyal, C., eds. (2003). "Spilosoma lutea". The Global Lepidoptera Names Index. Natural History Museum. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Spilarctia lutea at Lepiforum.de
|This Spilosomina-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|