Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus
|Matthew Enstice (President & CEO)
Patrick J. Kilcullen (CFO)
The Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus (BNMC) is a medical center of health care, life sciences research and medical education institutions, co-located on 120 acres (49 ha) in downtown Buffalo, New York. The BNMC was founded in 2001 by a consortium (including the University at Buffalo and Roswell Park Cancer Institute). This project comprises one of the five "Strategic Investment Areas" that make up Buffalo, NY's Queen City Hub Plan, the city's strategic plan for urban redevelopment.
The Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, Inc. (BNMC, Inc.) is the umbrella organization created in 2001 by the institutions located within the Medical Campus in downtown Buffalo, New York. Since then, the campus has grown to include over seven institutions, including the Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo General Hospital and the University at Buffalo. The not-for-profit organization was created to foster conversation and collaboration among member institutions, their employees, and the community. It also coordinates activities related to sustainable planning, development and enhancement of the 120-acre space which includes working to create a distinct, innovative environment that provides opportunities for entrepreneurship and active and healthy living.
Currently, the Medical Campus encompasses 6.5 million square feet of existing clinical, research, and support space today. There is more than two million square feet currently under construction totaling an investment of more than $750 million in private and public funding. 12,000 people working on the Medical Campus today with that number expected to rise to nearly 17,000 by 2017. On an annual basis, more than 1.5 million patients and visitors go through BNMC's doors.
In January 2016, The Buffalo News reported that the Buffalo-Niagara region’s unemployment in December of 2015 was only 4.9 percent, the lowest level in nine years according to the New York State Department of Labor. The low unemployment was attributed to large building projects such as SolarCity and the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus which fueled a hiring boom for construction workers with job growth running at an average pace of 1.6 percent which is more than double the rate of hiring during 2014 and nearly three times stronger than the employment gains during both 2012 and 2013.
As of the beginning of February 2016, minority and women-owned businesses have been awarded more than $55 million in contracts for work on the UB Medical School building under construction on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus.
It is estimated that by 2017, combined with the initiatives of Roswell Park Cancer Institute and UB 2020, employment on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus could exceed 17,000, close to that of the Bethlehem Steel plant in Lackawanna, NY before its closure.
- Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center
- Buffalo Medical Group
- Center for Hospice and Palliative Care
- Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute
- Kaleida Health
- Olmsted Center for Sight
- Ross Eye Institute
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- University at Buffalo
- Upstate New York Transplant Services "Unyts"
- Fruit Belt Neighborhood
- Allentown Neighborhood
- City of Buffalo
- County of Erie
- Buffalo Renaissance Foundation
- Community Foundation of Greater Buffalo
- FB Heron Foundation
- First Niagara
- Independent Health
- John R. Oishei Foundation
- National Grid
- New York State
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Transit Administration
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- Margaret L. Wendt Foundation
Awards and recognition
- 2013 - Chairman’s Award for Innovation, National Grid – energizeBNMC Team
- 2012 - Outstanding Research/Science Park Award, Association of University Research Parks
- 2012 - Innovative Design Award, Global Workspace Association – Thomas R. Beecher, Jr. Innovation Center
- 2012 - Outstanding Planning Award for Comprehensive Planning, Western New York Section of the American Planning Association – Four Neighborhoods, One Community
- 2012 - Americas Award, Alliance to Save Energy and the Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance – BNMC Five-year Energy Innovation and Economic Development Plan
- 2012 - Meritorious Service Award, New York State Commercial Association of Realtors (NYSCAR) WNY Chapter – Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus team of Patrick J. Whalen and Matthew K. Enstice
- 2007 - Program of the Year Award, Northeastern Economic Developers Association – Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus Economic Development Achievements Amongst Northeastern States
- "Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus". bnmc.org. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Robinson, David (January 27, 2016). "Buffalo Niagara has lowest December jobless rate in 9 years". The Buffalo News. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Contrada, John Della (January 27, 2016). "UB supports City of Buffalo’s ‘Opportunity Pledge’". University at Buffalo. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Thompson, Carolyn (June 22, 2014). "Buffalo reborn? Long-suffering upstate NY city sees hope in biggest building boom in 50 years". The Republic. Associated Press. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- The Medical Campus is covered in the Downtown Buffalo travel guide from Wikivoyage.
- Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus
- Kaleida Health
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- University at Buffalo School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
- NYS Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics & Life Sciences