Academic health science centre
An academic health science(s) centre (AHSC; also known as an academic health science(s) system, an academic health science(s) partnership or an academic medical centre) is a partnership between one or more universities and healthcare providers focusing on research, clinical services, education and training. AHSCs are intended to ensure that medical research breakthroughs lead to direct clinical benefits for patients. The organisational structures that comprise an AHSC can take a variety of forms, ranging from simple partnerships to, less frequently, fully integrated organisations with a single management board.
There are currently AHSCs operating in a number of countries including Australia, Canada, the Republic of Ireland, Japan, the Netherlands, Qatar, Singapore, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States.
In 2007 a review of healthcare in London led by Professor Lord Darzi, A Framework for Action, recommended the creation of a number of AHSCs. In October 2007 Imperial College Healthcare became the first AHSC to be established in the UK when the Imperial College London Faculty of Medicine merged with the Hammersmith Hospital and St Mary's NHS trusts. Four more AHSCs have subsequently been established in the UK and one is planned.
- Cambridge University Health Partners (Cambridge)
- Imperial College Healthcare (London)
- King's Health Partners (London)
- Manchester Academic Health Science Centre (Manchester)
- Oxford Academic Health Science Network (Oxford)
- UCL Partners (London)
- Health Science Scotland
AHSCs currently in operation in the United States include:
- Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado.
- Boston Medical Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
- Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio
- Duke University Medical Center, (Durham, North Carolina)
- Greenville Health System Clinical University, (Greenville, South Carolina)
- J. Hillis Miller Health Science Center, University of Florida (Gainesville and Jacksonville, Florida)
- Johns Hopkins Medicine (Baltimore, Maryland)
- Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School (Boston, Massachusetts)
- Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia University and Cornell University, New York, New York
- NYU Langone Medical Center, New York University, New York, NY
- Ohio State Wexner Medical Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, University of California- Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University- State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY
- Temple University Hospital, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Texas Medical Center (Houston, Texas)
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Tufts Medical Center (Boston, Massachusetts)
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama
- University of Chicago Medical Center, University of Chicagi, Chicago, Illinois
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (Newark, New Jersey)
- University of Michigan Health System, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- University of Mississippi Medical Center, Mississippi
- University of North Carolina Hospitals (Chapel Hill, North Carolina)
- University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, PA
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania
- University of Utah Hospital, University of Utah (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, Wisconsin
- UW Medicine, University of Washington (Seattle, Washington)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee
- Vidant Medical Center, Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University (Greenville, North Carolina)
- VCU Health, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
- Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
AHSCs currently in operation in Canada include:
- Hamilton Health Sciences (Hamilton, Canada)
- Health Sciences North (Sudbury, Canada) Only trauma center in Northern Ontario and the neighbouring province of Manitoba.
- London Health Sciences Centre (London, Canada)
- McGill University Health Centre (Montreal, Canada)
- The Ottawa Hospital (Ottawa, Canada)
- Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre (Thunder Bay, Canada)
- University Health Network (Toronto, Canada)
- Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre (Vancouver, Canada)
AHSCs currently in operation in other parts of the world include:
- Dublin Academic Medical Centre (Dublin, Ireland)
- Karolinska Institutet (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Kyushu University Academic Medical Center (Fukuoka, Japan)
- Leiden University Medical Center (Leiden, the Netherlands)
- National University Health System (Singapore)
- Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre (Nijmegen, the Netherlands)
- Trinity Health Ireland (Dublin, Ireland)
- Hamad Medical Corporation (Doha, Qatar)
- Melbourne Academic Centre for Health (Melbourne, Australia)
- Monash Partners (Melbourne, Australia)
- Brisbane Diamantina Health Partners(Brisbane, Australia)
- "The role of academic health science systems in the transformation of medicine" (PDF). The Lancet. 13 March 2010. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
- "A Framework for Action". Healthcare for London. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "University interventions aim to help heal a 'broken' NHS". Times Higher Education. 5 June 2008. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Super trusts: unite and conquer". Health Service Journal. 20 October 2008. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
- "Top hospitals link up with university to form research centre". London Evening Standard. 10 April 2008. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "NHS hospitals to forge £2bn research link-up with university". The Guardian. 7 August 2008. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
- "Home". Cambridge University Health Partners. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Home". Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. Archived from the original on 1 November 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Home". King's Health Partners. Archived from the original on 30 October 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Home". Manchester Academic Health Science Centre. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Home". UCL Partners. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Academic health sciences collaboration". The Scottish Government. Retrieved 5 November 2010.